Honda Counting on Engine Efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrianWC
You're right. The facts are otherwise. But do a bit of googling and you'll find that the numbers are very fluid. There have been months where his facts have been correct.

For example: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2009/05/top-10-bestselling-cars-april-2009.html

Camry usually outsells Accord. No accounting for taste.

Oh, and 440, you may want to look at some more recent figures regarding Honda vs. Chrysler.

Perhaps months but not years.

Camry overtook Tauras in the early nineties and that has been that.

BTW I own an 03 Accord.

Right, that's what I said. Camry's been on top for a while. Myself, the late 80's Accord was always my fav.

OMG everyone. This wasn't meant to be a Honda v Domestics argument just like every other thread seems to turn into. I just that that was a really interesting article about Honda and engines. You know, we hear all this ranting about the internal combustion engine is dead and all. Plus a little insight into how they do things....

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Very interesting. I've always felt like Honda is the Japanese Chrysler. Superb engine design... hit-and-miss execution. If either one could ever bring the cars they produce up to the same standards as their engines, they'd be a force to contend with. As it is, they're always 2nd or 3rd fiddle behind GM and Ford or Toyota and Nissan.

While I don't agree with you entirely I do agree that Honda engines are their best attribute. I purchased a new Accord VP in 2001 and after 85K I have mixed feelings. While it has been trouble-free it has the BAXA A/T that is doomed to fail early.
Honda brake systems are nothing to brag about. Hondas demand to use their fluids only is a turn-off. Another area where I've been disappointed is MPG. My Buick Century 6 cyl. gets the same or better MPG than my 4 cyl. Accord. To sum it up, it hasn't been a bad car but its nowhere near what my brothers 1986 and 1991 Accords were. Hondas quality has dropped IMO.

I don't hate Honda but I do feel their quality has dropped. They definitely have A/T issues with several models but it's admirable that they back-up their products better than GM. All I'm saying is that if I were buying new it wouldn't be a Honda (or Toyota for that matter). I'd probably buy a Ford (or a Hyundai.)

Very interesting. I've always felt like Honda is the Japanese Chrysler. Superb engine design... hit-and-miss execution. If either one could ever bring the cars they produce up to the same standards as their engines, they'd be a force to contend with. As it is, they're always 2nd or 3rd fiddle behind GM and Ford or Toyota and Nissan.

Yeah, all those Chrysler mini-vans blowing blue smoke out the tail pipe have a superb engine design. LOL
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: BrianWC

Oh, and 440, you may want to look at some more recent figures regarding Honda vs. Chrysler.

I never said otherwise.

Its a given that they're reversed at the moment. After all, the snapshot I showed was 6 months ago and at a point when Chrysler's sales were down only ~30% from the previous year, and now we're seeing numbers anywhere from don 40 to near 60% depending on which months you compare. Truth is even Toyota's sales numbers are pretty bad- but since Toyota, Ford, and Honda hadn't been bled dry by Daimler and Cerberus for years right before the market slump they're in decent shape. GM has no one else to blame, which is ironic since they *can* make a good car and do have one division (almost never mentioned in the news) that is doing very well (hint- it isn't a big player in the northern hemisphere... especially since the G8 got canned).

Sheesh, I did *not* intend a Honda vs. Chrysler war here!!! They both make some of the best drivetrains in the world in pretty much non-overlapping classes and continually face similar market positions... that was my only point. Many years ago, I thought that a Chrysler-Honda partnership would have been far better than a Daimler-Chrysler partnership. I still think it would have benefited both companies greatly, and that pairing might be the 900 pound gorilla in the market now if it had happened. Think of the product line alone, even without factoring in possible cross-corporate engineering projects: excellent economical/practical small/midsize cars like the Civic, Insight, and Accord, full-size rear-drives like the Charger and 300, Chrysler minivan market dominance, Dodge trucks, Jeep SUVs, Acura sport-luxury cars like the RL and the TL, plus 400+HP niche flagships like Viper and Challenger all under one corporate umbrella.

Originally Posted By: Junior

Yeah, all those Chrysler mini-vans blowing blue smoke out the tail pipe have a superb engine design. LOL
LOL.gif

Those of course do have the "superb" Mitsubishi 3.0
LOL.gif

LOL.gif

LOL.gif

Beat me to it
wink.gif

LOL.gif

LOL.gif

Exactly, so I don't think you can compare Chrysler as and engine company to Honda as an engine company.

LOL.gif

LOL.gif

Exactly, so I don't think you can compare Chrysler as and engine company to Honda as an engine company.

That's right. Honda doesn't have an engine that is used as the basis for most of the 8,000HP Top Fuel class.

I believe the Mitsubishi thing just went straight over your head.....

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

LOL.gif

LOL.gif

That's right. Honda doesn't have an engine that is used as the basis for most of the 8,000HP Top Fuel class.

cheers3.gif
I'm sure we could give examples back and forth all day.

What, Huh, sorry whenever I hear the word Mitsubishi all I hear is itchy pu _ _ _ What was this thread about again???
21.gif

LOL.gif

LOL.gif

Next time I need an 8000 hp car I now know where to go.

If I need a reliable and fuel efficient car with a reliable and fuel efficient engine I will go to Honda.

Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux

LOL.gif

LOL.gif

Next time I need an 8000 hp car I now know where to go.

If I need a reliable and fuel efficient car with a reliable and fuel efficient engine I will go to Honda.

Ford has those bases covered for me. However, if I need a good lawn mower, I know where to go.

But I agree that the Hemi is still the king in drag racing....I get a kick out of the funny cars that have a ford or gm or toyota body and underneath....a HEMI....since the late 50s nothing better yet for top fuel or funny car....

Wow, there has been a lot of activity since I last checked. I do have 2 Hondas but I am not blinded by loyalty. I think Honda makes good cars but I also researched other makes before I bought them. My next purchase will probably be an SUV/CUV and I plan to look at the Pilot but also the Highlander, Acadia and new Explorer (if it comes out). I hope to pick the one that provides the best overall value based on my criteria.

Most manufacturers make really good cars these days and I respect other decisions/brand loyalty. I do like other brands (I just don't own one right now). It may sound crazy but I really like the current Ford Taurus. I rented one for a week and thought it was a comfortable car with a huge truck that drove very well. I am excited to see the new one. I would also like to someday own a late model Mustang or the new Camaro although that will have to wait until the kids get older. I leased a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I loved. I replaced it with a 2000 and I had mutiple problems with it.

My previous responses were based on the comments that seemed to say that Honda is not making cars that people want or that they are not producing cars on par with their engines. The truth is that Honda is very successful and is leading virtually every segment they compete in. They ARE making cars that people want and are the envy of the industry. Almost every commercial for mid-sized cars (Malibu, Fusion, Sonata, Aura, etc) compares their product to the Accord and/or Camry.

There are tons of stats around sales results. A big area of disagreement is if fleet sales are included. Including fleet sales Camry has outsold Accord for many years. I beleive the Accord outsold Camry in the early 90s and last stats I saw had them ahead in 2009. If fleet sales are taken out, the Accord oftens outsells the Camry. Either way, Honda sells hundreds of thousands of Accords a year.

Personally I don't care if Accord outsells Camry. The Accord was the best choice for me at the time and I have been fortunate to have had good luck with my Hondas. I have also had good luck with the dealers for repair/service when needed (I do change my own oil). The sales side of the business has been hit or miss.

Now it is time to grab another beer and enjoy the evening - Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back