Honda Civic transmission acting badly

Trying to diagnose a 2003 Civic with an AT problem, hoping someone knows these WELL:

180k miles on it. Transmission last serviced a year ago with proper fluid, was driving well (very well) then.

Yesterday, in record heat (near 100F), owner says the transmission flared a few times on a drive of 15 miles or so. At a stop it then refused to shift out of 1st gear.

I looked at it today and from cold, still would not shift out of 1st, and flared slightly starting to move. Fluid is clean, not burned, full. I have to think this is a solenoid issue - but I don't know any specifics on Honda transmissions. He had made one call who said there was nothing to be done short of replacing the transmission, which I find crazy to say over the phone w/o seeing it.

Short of getting an ATSG manual for it, does anyone know about common issues with these? I understand the 00-01 (or 02) Civics had some torque converter issues, but this one is after that issue was remedied.

My daughter had the exact car you have about 10 years ago. When she bought it used, I talked her into getting an extended warranty for it. Being she lived in Texas and if something went wrong with the car, we were of no help. She didn't want to buy the warranty, but was glad she did when her trans went in it. She had about 200k on it, and it was replaced under the warranty. I'm sure if they could have fixed what was wrong with it easier and cheaper, they would have. At the time they told her it would have cost her $3,000 to fix it if she was paying out of pocket. Even if you bought a used one from the junkyard, it would be 17 years old and who knows what shape that ones in. Alot to spend on an old car.,,

Trying to diagnose a 2003 Civic with an AT problem, hoping someone knows these WELL:

180k miles on it. Transmission last serviced a year ago with proper fluid, was driving well (very well) then.

Yesterday, in record heat (near 100F), owner says the transmission flared a few times on a drive of 15 miles or so. At a stop it then refused to shift out of 1st gear.

I looked at it today and from cold, still would not shift out of 1st, and flared slightly starting to move. Fluid is clean, not burned, full. I have to think this is a solenoid issue - but I don't know any specifics on Honda transmissions. He had made one call who said there was nothing to be done short of replacing the transmission, which I find crazy to say over the phone w/o seeing it.

Short of getting an ATSG manual for it, does anyone know about common issues with these? I understand the 00-01 (or 02) Civics had some torque converter issues, but this one is after that issue was remedied.

Does this help you?

Attachments

• A4RA Manual.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 80
Does this help you?

Oh yes, Oh yes it does!

I can see on page 6 in the shift control matrices that a bad B solenoid would cause this exact thing.

I also see from checking out you tube videos and looking at one of the cutaways in that TransTec info, the solenoids are on the outside of the case, and it's incredibly easy to swap them and clean the screens. This *might* be a very easy repair.

Thanks very much, Trav.

Reactions: JC1
I will.

It might be a little time before I know. This isn't my car (anymore). Here's the whole story, which I omitted for sake of clarity in the first post.

This was my step-sons starter car; got it 18 months ago. I went through it 100% before he started to drive it, and repaired door locks (a serious pain), rocking seat (common), cam sensor (they fail), etc, etc, and flushed the transmission and had it running nicely. We sold it early spring since didn't need the car with schools closed, and I'd take the time to find him a nicer one. This happened to the buyer, who very politely emailed me and asked for advice, not in an accusatory way. Since I do know how to solve these issues, I felt like the least I could do was check it out, diagnose it, and if he can't find someone to do it, I will clean/check/replace solenoids.

He really appreciated the advice (he called a shop who just told him "$3,500." He knows a reputable local mechanic another town over, and he'll check with him. If he can't find someone to do the repair reasonably for him, then I'll probably do it in a few weeks when I have time.

I will update with the solution, as it's good community knowledge to have! Trav helped a lot (as usual!) with that document; that was the info I was seeking.

Back