Honda Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, this is a tiny car, and its highway mileage rating is only 32mpg?!?! The real world numbers from Car and Driver, etc is around 25mpg.

I don't care if it is fun to drive. Who wants to drive a cracker box that gets 25mpg!

I know Honda does not "do" turbo's, but it seems that a turbo is the best way to make a small performance engine. Look at the MPG numbers for the Audi's/VW 2.0T engines. Or how about the Mercedes supercharged 4cyl mileage numbers. Or Saab's turbo 9-3's.

Hmm..

Yes, and you're forgetting that this car puts out around 200HP.

You've got to be kidding me that you believe "real world" MPG figures from auto magazines such as C&D and Edmunds. These guys drive the snot out of the test vehicles.
rolleyes.gif

I'm not forgetting it puts out 200hp. The Audi and VW puts out 200hp and the Mercedes around 195? and the Saab is up at 250hp.

my 191hp turbo Volvo I5 averages 20mpg in 60/40 hwy/city driving. this is t3h suk. and it's slow. and she breaks down all the time. and i love her.

The scion tC carries around an extra windshield on the roof.... I would have gotten a XRS if they arn't so hard to find.

It's really a wonder since even a camry using the same engine gets better milage.

Remember that EPA estimates are based on a car going like 45.2 mph over 1.2 miles. That's off the top of my head so don't flame me, but I read it once in Patrick Bedard's column in C/D. (It's the only car magazine I read, and I only read it when on a plane which is like 1-2 times a year.)

HP is HP. Take a look at the WRX or EVO they have turbo and do get more HP but engines are bigger also. They get 25 mpg. The Si gets 32 mpg and with decent driving souldd do better than that.

The EVO might be a tad faster than the Si but I don't think the WRX will beat it.

Hey if it doesn't get the milage you want go with the 1.8 Civic. Respectable 140Hp and 40 mpg. Or go with the sluggish Toyota @ 128 HP

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
HP is HP. Take a look at the WRX or EVO they have turbo and do get more HP but engines are bigger also.

The EVO might be a tad faster than the Si but I don't think the WRX will beat it.

The WRX beat out an Si. It has significantly more torque and if the drag strip #'s matter, WRX 0-60 5.8 secs while Si is 0-60 in 7.3 secs.

Probably should leave an Evo out of the Si comparo group. Like dropping Lance Armstrong in amongst a Sunday afternoon bike club ride.

...anyway, I get 31 country driving and 29 highway. Base RSX 5-sp with 160hp. After 11k, I'm still happy w/ my car choice. People get too focused on ONE aspect of a car they are looking to buy. The always want the "best" something: mpg, hp, handling, price, safety, reliability etc, but few cars offer a good mix.ie, the good mpg car has low power, and the cheap car has poor safety etc. I feel like the RSX, even the Si, has a good mix of handling, power, mpg, safety, definately reliable at a good price. For what I paid and what I want from a car, nice.

You've got to give credit to the magazine writers for telling the actual mileage they got with the car, not what is SHOULD have.
That is the worst possible scenario, as they are merciless with the throttle.

quote:

Originally posted by rjundi:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
HP is HP. Take a look at the WRX or EVO they have turbo and do get more HP but engines are bigger also.

The WRX beat out an Si. It has significantly more torque and if the drag strip #'s matter, WRX 0-60 5.8 secs while Si is 0-60 in 7.3 secs.

the main thing with that is the WRX has more traction than the si. Supposedly they trap about the same speed in the quarter mile.

The Si will be running after the Subie has blown up. I personally will never buy another Subaru. The dumb***es put the wrong wrist pins in the engine! The dude from corporate told my wife that getting it fixed was "like getting your nails done"!!!
Never again.

quote:

Originally posted by ChromiumSteel:
The Si will be running after the Subie has blown up. I personally will never buy another Subaru. The dumb***es put the wrong wrist pins in the engine! The dude from corporate told my wife that getting it fixed was "like getting your nails done"!!!
Never again.

My family has owned over 13 Subaru's into the 200k range with any major issues. This includes two turbo models. The older ones(late 80's and 1990 legacy) got a little rusty in New England.

I owned my first and last Honda, a 95 Civic EX which was essentially an uncomfortable appliance albiet reliable and rattly till the day sold at 225k.

quote:

Originally posted by outersquare:

quote:

Originally posted by rjundi:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

the main thing with that is the WRX has more traction than the si. Supposedly they trap about the same speed in the quarter mile.

However the WRX is once again quicker in the quarter mile by 0.5 sec.

I own an WRX and had an oppurtunity to drive the new SI. I don't really find them to be that similar except quick small cars each excelling in their ways.

It is a bit of a mystery to me why Honda designs these low torque/high rev engines. Then they gear them so tall in 5th or 6th that you need to drop two gears to get up a steep freeway grade. The mileage is always okay/good, but I also wonder if they would not be better off with a supercharger or turbo. One thing I will say for them compared to VW/Audi is look at the difference in reliability! Yes the VW/Audi cars get better torque and comparable mileage, but the cars spend a LOT more time in the shop.

That's why I liked the Scion tC over the Civic. More torque and HP where I want/use it.
Civics are nice, but I don't like that setup.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back