Honda Civic got 290k miles in 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
why would he change ATF in his manual car?

Not sure about this particular transmission, but lots of manual trannies take ATF and have change intervals.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01

Not sure about this particular transmission, but lots of manual trannies take ATF and have change intervals.

That's news to me...I've never heard of any manual tranny that takes anything but oil...

The Hondas I have seen specify "Honda MTF". For my 98 Accord, you are supposed to be able to use motor oil in a pinch.

Either way, sounds like the OP didn't change it, lol.

Originally Posted By: grampi

That's news to me...I've never heard of any manual tranny that takes anything but oil...

my 96 ford ranger spec'd atf in the manual tranny

Originally Posted By: mcrn

Yeah, my old BMW specs Dex II for the box.
Hondas of the past sixteen years or so spec HG lube, while earlier ones called for motor oil. I used 10W-40 in the tranaxles of our mid 'eighties Civics and usually in the engines as well. Shifted like a broomstick in a bucket of grease on really cold mornings until it warmed up.

Originally Posted By: mcrn

I'm not questioning that what you posted is true, but from an engineering standpoint, putting ATF in a manual tranny makes no sense. ATF is used in auto trannies to make a mechanical fluid connection in the torque converter. This process doesn't take place in a manual tranny as the coupling takes place by clutch plates and spring pressure. The only fluid required in a manual tranny is for lubrication, and ATF is a terrible lubricant...

It isn't the torque converter that has any special fluid needs.
Rather it's the clutch packs of the transmission that require specific friction modifiers to work as intended and have long life.
ATF is just a light oil with friction modifiers and a fairly light metallic add pack.
ATF doesn't need the add pack of motor oil since it never sees combustion products nor does it need to protect against the friction loads seen in an engine.
Oil is what lubricates, and ATF is oil.
Many makers have recommended ATF for their manual gearboxes for many years.
Honda is a bit of an exception in this regard.
You could certainly use motor oil and it shouldn't hurt any manual at all. You could also gear lube, although you'd have to be careful of yellow metals compatibility in some gearboxes. Lots of sulfer isn't a good thing for some metals, and the sulfer content is what gives gear lube its distinctive scent.
Either might make shifting heavier than with ATF, especially in very cold weather.

I'm not questioning that what you posted is true, but from an engineering standpoint, putting ATF in a manual tranny makes no sense. ATF is used in auto trannies to make a mechanical fluid connection in the torque converter. This process doesn't take place in a manual tranny as the coupling takes place by clutch plates and spring pressure. The only fluid required in a manual tranny is for lubrication, and ATF is a terrible lubricant...

This isn't new: I recall my Shelby Charger (1985) used ATF, though my mother's Omni (1987) used 10W-30. My 1979 Skyhawk's 5-speed used ATF. Note that Chrysler called for Dexron in manual gearboxes as far back as 1972!

Also, some Meritor and Fuller class 8 gearboxes now use ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back