Honda Civic 5w20 or 5w30 mobil1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got a 2003 civic ex and I've been using 5w20 castrol(non synthetic) for 30,000 miles. Ive been waiting for the big guys to come out with a 5w20 synthetic and nothing on the store shelfs. This oil change I went with 5w30 synthetic mobil 1. Any pros or cons or no difference. Thanks this looks lie a great site.Also Ive been buying Honda filters any recommendations?

I've got an 03 CRV and I won't use the 5w20 myself.

I put the Mobil-1 0W30 in mine and on it's next change I'm going to use the new Mobil-1 0w30 "R"

By the way Mobil-1 does have a 0w20 on the shelves. I just can't see that stuff being thick enough for good protection while driving through the 120 degree desert on one of my Las Vegas trips. I won't use it.

I agree with Crossbow, the M1 0w-20 is showing some awesome UOAs on here, and so for engines which call for 5w-20 I would not hesitate to run that oil.

I think M1 0w-20 is a better built oil than their 5w-30.

The Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5W-20 oil is turning in excellent UOAs on a lot of different engines where 5W-20 is specified and I use it.

I'm no fan of the Honda factory filter as most of them are a version of the Fram filter now. I'm using Wix filters on my '03 Honda and may try a Motorcraft filter as well.

John

[ March 06, 2004, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: jthorner ]

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
The Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5W-20 oil is turning in excellent UOAs on a lot of different engines where 5W-20 is specified and I use it.

I'm no fan of the Honda factory filter as most of them are a version of the Fram filter now. I'm using Wix filters on my '03 Honda and may try a Motorcraft filter as well.

John

Yep, it would be a hard sell to go with a full syn here in the lower 48, since no one is recommending much extended drains in this grade.

The Motorcraft is putting up some good numbers, cheap.

Can I go back to a semi after running full synthetic? Also the Honda filters do look like fram ones now just blue.

To further confuse the issue, take a peek at oil recommendations for your car in the UK:

http://www.bplubricants.co.uk

For the Honda Civic 1.4 litre and 1.6 litre VTEC motors, BP recommends their premium synthetic 0W-40. They also have a general viscosity recommendation based on temp:

"Engine oil viscosity recommendations: Below 35°C, 5W-30*; -20°C to 35°C, 10W-30; above -20°C, 10W-40; above -15°C, 15W-40/15W-50; above -10°C, 20W-40/20W-50. * Except cars fitted with H22A1, H22A2 engines which may only use 5W-30 below 0°C"

To maintain your warranty here in North America, I really don't see what choice you have but to run the recommended xW-20 oil.

After all, you must keep the EPA CAFE police happy.

Jerry

ZR: I have a 02 civic ex. Here is what has worked for me. Mind you this is seat of the pants and have not done uoa. 0w30 m1 works but you'll lose some throttle response. Pennzoil 5w20 works well, but you'll need to top off after 3500 miles. amsoil xl 7500 5w20 works great, delivered the best mileage so far and had no problem with 7500 mile oci, ran it last summer in 110 plus ambiant temps. DO NOT USE Havoline 5w20, it does not like it and runs like SH*T. Currenty using m1 0w20 and the car runs smooth as silk. Will try torco 5w20 next. but may come back to the m1 0w20 In my opinion, its the best solution so far given availability, price and oci, I run it for 7 - 8 k oci. Stick with the xw20s -they work! Just my .02. just as an aside, temps down here get to 110-117 and stay there for most of the year. High temps is not an issue in this application. Trucks ..that is a different ball of wax. Oh yea, Wix, Bosch and m1 filters all work well, I settled on Wix.
cheers.gif

r.

quote:

Originally posted by crossbow:
Viscosity is NOT an indication of protection.

It HAS TO at least to some extent. If the film is to thin the more chance/possibility of parts rubing together than if seperated by a thicker film.

How come my same 1.4L engine (exactly the same) wants the 40 weight in europe and I'm pretty sure ALSO in Japan?

Yeah I know the UOA's say I'm wrong but I think I'll still wait and see.

[ March 06, 2004, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Hankrr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

Patman you think better than the new 0w-30R too? That's the oil I was planing to use next.

I understand the Mobil 30weights run to the light side anyway and with it being slightly thicker should offer a bit better protection driving through the desert.

I don't know I'm trying to think logicly here. I just don't trust that 20 wieght long term as I want my engine to last forever.

quote:

Originally posted by heyjay:

To maintain your warranty here in North America, I really don't see what choice you have but to run the recommended xW-20 oil.

After all, you must keep the EPA CAFE police happy.

Jerry

Hey Jerry I bet with the Mobil-1 0w-30 running toward the lower end of the 30 weight range that they wouldn't even flag it even if they tested it. It'd be to close. I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about my warranty.

I believe it's going to offer me a wider range or safty margen if you will and I'll continue using it.

I did a test with good controls between Mobil 1 0w-20 and 5w-30 in my Acura RSX with the K20A3 engine. I found that my wear metals were slightly lower with the 0w-20. However, I found that they were even lower still with my next interval of M1 0w-20, so wear metals may just be trending lower as the miles pile on. I'm convinced heavier viscosities provide no better protection for the way I drive.

I noticed on the Mobil 1 web site that 0w20 was recommended for accord and civic cars but after that they write except VTEC engines. Thats what is in my civic.Now Im confused.

I have an 02 Civic. Both Honda dealers in my area here in florida use 5W30, even so 5W20 is specified. I asked them about it, and they said in the hot temperatures, they would not use 5W20, only 5W30. I have been using M1 5W30 since 5,000 miles. Now have 19,000 miles. I Run it one year (12,000 miles) with a new filter at 6 months. No problems, same mileage, 35mpgs, smooth, quiet, runs beautiful. I used to worry like you guys, but not anymore.

quote:

Originally posted by Hankrr:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

Patman you think better than the new 0w-30R too? That's the oil I was planing to use next.

I understand the Mobil 30weights run to the light side anyway and with it being slightly thicker should offer a bit better protection driving through the desert.

I don't know I'm trying to think logicly here. I just don't trust that 20 wieght long term as I want my engine to last forever.

I honestly don't know how the new M1 Racing oil is going to compare to their other oils. It would be just pure speculation on my part since we haven't seen any UOAs yet.

Both Honda dealers in my area here in florida use 5W30, even so 5W20 is specified.

Do note that many dealers do thus just to save money. Many of their vehicles spec for 30 wt oils, and they've got 30wt's in bulk...20 wt's on the other hand they don't have in excess, and it usually costs them "more" per oil change to follow the manufacturers recommendation.

Do remember that "most" dealerships are in the business to make money, not to make sure your car lasts to 300,000 miles.

It HAS TO at least to some extent. If the film is to thin the more chance/possibility of parts rubing together than if seperated by a thicker film.

I was a bit hesitant too...using an engine obviously designed for 30-40wt's (3.0 v6), which in some applications handles over 400+ hp (noble M12), now specing a 20 wt oil.

So I bit my lip, listened to the oil guys, and tried 0w-20. Engine rev's like its so happy, happy to rev all day long...UOA's are excellent, showing very little wear...heck one member went from a 5w-30 to a 0w-20 and HALVED his wear metals.

Thinner doesn't mean less protection...but it does mean that the protection reaches areas which thicker oils may have trouble getting too...

[ March 06, 2004, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: crossbow ]

"Both Honda dealers in my area here in florida use 5W30, even so 5W20 is specified. I asked them about it, and they said in the hot temperatures, they would not use 5W20, only 5W30." Hmmm. It seems to me that 5w30 may actually have more of a tendancy to shear than the 20 weights, which seem to be very well made, stable oils. I am guessing that many 5w30's will shear down to a 20 weight by the end of an OCI, especially in hot climates.

I have an 03 EX and right now, in it what must seem like a cardinal sin, I'm still running the original break in oil! The car was purchased on 7-31 and it should be at 5k later this month. After that it'll be 6 month changes 'cuz the wife only drives it 4 miles each way to work.

My point being, that I have a case of RL 5W-20 that I'm going to use. Perhaps I'll do a UOA in 6 months.

I am relunctant to go against manufacture suggestions as I don't have the time nor the money to wear out engines to test my thoughts or other rumors. I find it interesting that after extensive testing that the HONDAs Forumla one team setteled on Mobil 1 5w30 for their 16,000 rpm race car. ED HAYES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back