Honda Break-in Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Tuesday I'll be bringing home a 2009 Acura TL SH-awd with Tech Package. So my question is does honda still use break-in oil? If yes, how long should I leave it in for? I have always drained the factory fill right around 500 miles but this is my first honda product. Should I or not? Thank You.

Deven

According to Honda, they do not want you to replace the oil until the first oil change is due. You could probably fudge that number a little bit, but I would not go below half the recommended interval for the first oil change.

Whether or not they have a "break-in oil" in the crankcase, or whether they just don't want people to switch to synthetic too soon, is debatable.

Yes, they have a factory fill that is highly additized. In the past, it contained a strong dose of Moly (over 500 ppm).

Just wait until the Maintenance Minder shows 15% remaining before performing your first oil change.

I would follow their spec. No company is perfect, but when I consider their engine reputation and my product experience (17 years, 440,000 miles between the 3 Honda in the driveway) I choose to think they are a credible source of information. Enjoy your new ride.

This a common dilemma faced by new Honda vehicle owners. While there is nothing written in the owners manual (at least nothing I saw)) about going 6K on the factory fill, the service writer tells you that is what's recommended.
21.gif

The problem is that the idea is antithetical to the common wisdom of shortening the first OCI to drain/flush the break-in wear metals.

On my 07 Accord I went 7 months and 4500 miles and had it changed (free at dealer). Just couldn't bring myself to go any further, so I guess you could say I split the difference between 3 and 6k.

My advice, do what you're comfortable with (500 mi. too soon IMO), and either way I think your engine will be just fine. After all, it is a Honda.

Congrats on the new TL.

Glad I don't own a Honda product, LOL. What I mean is the OCD would kill me not being able to get that factory fill out of that engine quick. Maybe I'd dump it and tweak the oil with some Red Line Break In Oil Additive to help with my OCD, or maybe some Schaffers #132.
21.gif
Or maybe just leave the factory fill in until the OLM tells me to dump it. Good luck with your new ride.

I ran mine 3,300 on the initial fill. Hasn't burned a drop since with either Penzoil Yellow Bottle 5W-20 or Platinum 5W-20.

I bought my Accord new in 1999, changed the oil at 1,ooo mi, used synthetic ever since, no problems whatsoever.

honda is arguably the best engine manufacturer on the planet. they build cars because they have engines in them, same for lawnmowers, generators and soon aircraft. i would take their advice on the engine oil. it does seem to have break-in additives (either in the form of a special oil, or assembly lube has been a point of some debate). while pulling it early will not make the wheels fall off, you may get something less than optimal on the break-in.

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
honda is arguably the best engine manufacturer on the planet. they build cars because they have engines in them, same for lawnmowers, generators and soon aircraft. i would take their advice on the engine oil. it does seem to have break-in additives (either in the form of a special oil, or assembly lube has been a point of some debate). while pulling it early will not make the wheels fall off, you may get something less than optimal on the break-in.

But is there anything, really. I doubt it.

Originally Posted By: paul246
I bought my Accord new in 1999, changed the oil at 1,ooo mi, used synthetic ever since, no problems whatsoever.

Exactly the same with our 2000 Accord V6. Well, at least the 1,000 mile first change part. It's had Castrol in it since then (either Syntec Blend or 4 qts GTX +1 Syntec). Still have the car and it's still perfect. The most trouble free car I've ever owned. "Boringly so...," he said knocking on wood.

Until this moment,I have never heard that Honda had a special "break-in" oil.

My wife has a 2005 Element I changed the oil for the first time @ 3k. No was was I going to follow the dealers advise of changing it @ 10k. 34k and its still running great.

Originally Posted By: paul246
Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver

But is there anything, really. I doubt it.

you doubt the Oil Analysis tests that show much higher moly in the factory fill? while i will admit i have no idea if this comes from assembly lube or from a special fill, i would say that it is real. i would also say anecdotes from people who are under 200k about their engine working fine with a quick change are missing the point.

but, if you think you know more about engines than honda, go ahead...

Last edited:
This was the subject of an S2000 TSB. Don't think the S2k has an olm system though.

Quote:
Because the piston rings, piston rod bearings and crankshaft main bearings continue to “break in” during the first 5,000 to 7,500 miles, factory-fill oil is provided in the engine of the delivered car. The factory-fill oil has special additives, so it should be left in the engine until the first oil change: 7,500 miles, under “Normal Conditions.

If the oil is changed at 3,500 miles because the car was driven under “Severe Conditions,” replace the factory fill oil only with 10W-30 petroleum-based oil.

Do not use any synthetic oil for the first 7,500 miles. Synthetic oil is excellent protection for the car’s engine, but it should not be used before 7,500 miles since it will not allow the rings, bearings, etc. to “break in” properly."

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I guess I will do what I feel most comfortable so I will probably change the oil at 1000 miles to PP and get a UOA to see what goodies Honda use in ther FF. Thanks again guys.

We bought a 2006 Acura TSX new and as hard as it was, I let it go to about 6300 before the first change. That was about 15% remaining on the OLM. There was a service bulletin out about not changing the factory fill, even though it may look dark, until the OLM says to, so we have followed that. We use PP and change about every 6 to 7 K, again at about 15% oil life left and no problems.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
This was the subject of an S2000 TSB. Don't think the S2k has an olm system though.

Quote:
Because the piston rings, piston rod bearings and crankshaft main bearings continue to “break in” during the first 5,000 to 7,500 miles, factory-fill oil is provided in the engine of the delivered car. The factory-fill oil has special additives, so it should be left in the engine until the first oil change: 7,500 miles, under “Normal Conditions.

If the oil is changed at 3,500 miles because the car was driven under “Severe Conditions,” replace the factory fill oil only with 10W-30 petroleum-based oil.

Do not use any synthetic oil for the first 7,500 miles. Synthetic oil is excellent protection for the car’s engine, but it should not be used before 7,500 miles since it will not allow the rings, bearings, etc. to “break in” properly."

Why do people still believe this bunk?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back