Honda Brake Fluid

Hard to believe but another 3 years has flown by and it is time to replace brake fluid in my 2010 MDX. Have always used Honda fluid because many years ago Toyota and Honda had master cylinder seal failures they blamed on non-OEM fluid. I researched this extensively and found a clear paper trail which proved Honda and Toyota got a batch of defective seals (they used same supplier) and failures had nothing to do with brake fluid. However, I continued to use only OEM because that is what I tend to do.

This time I am looking for moral support to use aftermarket fluid...not because it is a little cheaper but it is so much more convenient to get. Does anyone know any reason I should not use aftermarket brake fluid in an Acura MDX? Thanks.

Nope, but I would stick with a quality, name brand fluid; Castrol, ATE, Pentosin, etc., all are widely available. I used Castrol LMA on my S2000 for years.

I have been buying this lately -- Pentosin DOT 4. I like the re-seal of the metal canister and plastic cap, but still use it within a year.

Replaced all brake hoses and flushed the entire brake system of my 2005 Suburban with it. I have never felt such a good hydro-boost brake pedal before.

On-to Honda talk, my 2009 Accord and 2014 Civic, I used Honda brake fluid, Advance Auto (Wearever), NAPA brake fluid and Pentosin and have never had an issue. Even used NAPA brake fluid in the clutch master with no ill effects.

D0962443-0CE4-4C94-821F-F461D930298D.jpeg

I do. Parts guy sells it to me for $9/qt.

Changing it every 3 years is more important than what brand you use. Even Walmart brand ST brake fluid is good stuff. The ST DOT4 is $5.74/qt not a bad price at all.

Nothing wrong with Castrol, either. Bosch ESI6 comes in a metal can and is a good price on Amazon. Pentosin and Ravenol are also good choices.

I too have been using it in our Honda cars, just in case. I get it at a cheap price with free shipping from an outfit in MD.

If you’re committed to changing every three years, use any DOT approved brake fluid. I like this one because it happens to be pretty clear instead of yellowish. It also goes on sale regularly.

D9D12DCA-8BD3-4D74-86C1-6AD788E4303E.jpeg

Old habit, I use Valvoline. Started way back when it was SynPower, and just suck with it. Many years and miles on my Honda's, with 0 braking problems.

Back