Honda ATF Z1 replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Specialty Formulations is on hiatus, my plan on using their Autoglide Z1 for my '03 Honda Odyssey is up in smoke. Due to the demands of this tranny on the Honda Z1 ATF, I'd like to use something full-synthetic.

What other full-synth options are there? From what I gather, I have a few: Amsoil Universal ATF, or add Lubegard Black or the new Platinum to a full synth Dexron III like Redline, RP, etc. Did I miss any?

Any recommendations? Thanks.

I'm having good luck with Amsoil ATF in my '00 3.2TL. You can add a small amount of LG black or platinum (which is merely 50:50 LG black and LG red) if it'll make you feel better but it's really not necessary, Amsoil ATF is recommended for use in ATF-Z1 applications as is (except CVTs). Although some may disagree with me, I would avoid the others you mentioned even with FM additives.

Even as an Amsoil guy, I went carefully into the ATF decision with my 2006 Odyssey. I first found out that Z-1 is not mystical power juice. It's different than Dexron, but not different ballpark different. Then I questioned Amsoil customers, I bugged Amsoil, I read BITOG, the Ody forum, other Honda forums. Sure Honda has made some kharap AT's but not once could I find an Amsoil ATF fluid failure.

So I'm on my third flush and fill with Amsoil ATF. The car goes great. The transmission shifts better than stock. I certainly see less crud on the plug magnet each time.

I advise that you go with Amsoil ATF

Quote:

Did I miss any?

What abouth the 'new' Castrol Import ATF.....or the Maxlife ATF ??
dunno.gif

No, those are not full synthetic, but for someone who does not want to spend that much on full synthetic like Amsoil, there are alternatives such as the Maxlife that mention Honda Z1 on the bottle that cost about half as much and will work fine for somewhat shorter intervals than the Amsoil ATF. But yes, the original poster did mention full synthetic as a requirement, and for that I would have to recommend the Amsoil here as well. That stuff has never let me down in any application I've ever used it in.

Xcel, Synlube, WolfsHead, BG........ also have full synths.

Stepping down to synth blends brings in ATF's from most companies.

And, the Lubegard, TransVert, Runrite, Smartblend, VS7.... are options for converting the regular full-synth Dex/Merc fluids.

bottle_bot_VV360.jpg

THOMAS R. SMITH
Technical Director, Valvoline Brand
June 7, 2004

To Whom It May Concern:

Valvoline has received several inquiries regarding the topic of MERCON V ATF and its use in various vehicles beyond those requiring DEXRON-III, MERCON, or MERCON V approved products. In response to these questions Valvoline has issued the following statements:

Valvoline supports the use of MERCON V ATF in a broad range of transmissions beyond those requiring DEXRON-III, MERCON, and MERCON V fluids including those where the following fluids are recommended:

o GM DEXRON II
o Allison C-4
o Chrysler ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluids
o Toyota (and Lexus) Type T, T-III or T-IV fluids
o Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II or SP-III fluids
o Hyundai
o Honda ATF-Z1 fluid (except in CVTs)
o BMW LT71141 or LA2634 fluids
o Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, or Matic-K fluids

MaxLife ATF is recommended for the new 5 and 6 speed transmissions, except the Ford 5R110, Ford 6RXX, and the Mercedes Benz W7A700 (7G-TRONIC) which all require a low viscosity Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Valvoline has conducted in-house testing to support MERCON V ATF performance in these transmissions. However, it is important to note that these vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MERCON V ATF.

Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MERCON V ATF. Use of MERCON V ATF in transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. In the unlikely event that any transmission was to be damaged as a result of the use of MERCON V ATF,
please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL.

Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in continuously variable transmissions (CVT’s) or in automatic transmissions where Ford Type F is recommended.

Sincerely,
Thom Smith
Technical Director
Valvoline Brand

Amsoil ATF!

I'm on my second drain and fill of four planned. My Civic holds 6 quarts total, and I drain out 2.5 each time.

Shift quality is much better than with the Z1. My shifts are much more firm and the "clunk" that all the 8th gen Civic guys have going from R to D has quieted so that I almost can't hear it anymore.

So far, I'm sold on this stuff. As soon as I use the rest of the case of Hyundai SPIII for my wife's SUV, it's going to Amsoil too!

Brian

I know I have stated this before .... you may use any fluid other than Honda Z1 ATF so long as it is DEX III compatible.

So pick a full syn. DEX III fluid and it will work and it will NOT void your warranty.

The million dollar question is which fluid 'feels' best in this regard.

I have read alot of people like Amsoil ATF as mentioned above by several posters.

I have read that people like Mobil ATF also, but that the shift 'feel' is for sure 'different'.

I use the Honda Z1 fluid, I have done a drain/fill every 15k and I just did a 3x dnf at 45k.
Feels like new, however I will note that the 'new' feeling it had say after the drain/fill at 30k did NOT last long.
(that is why I opted for the 3x at 45k)

So far only 48k miles... smooth as can be ... so I agree with others who have stated that the Honda Z1 could/should be better than it is currently
frown.gif

I do not believe that any one has ever tried to suggest that the Honda Z1 fluid caused a tranny failure ..... but more as you stated bfg9k, people are simply looking for 'more' out of their ATF fluid.

I have used Valvoline Max life in my tranny, but was not impressed. I refulled with Z1 at 148k, but now at 155k the shifts are very firm, and I was about to add a bottle of Lubeguard synthetic additive, but am now contemplating Amsoil.

I started a routine of drain/refill with Amsoil ATF in my Acura TL at every other oil change in August '05 and I've had no issues. The tranny shifts fine, color is good, and I now have a little over 50k miles on the vehicle. It's easy to access the fill and drain plugs, so I just incorporate the job in with the oil change. Good luck.

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate it. I think I will give the Amsoil ATF a try and see how it does...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back