Honda adds 440,000 cars to recall over airbags

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001-02 Accords, 2001 Civics and 2002-03 Acura TLs included

Airbag inflators can produce over-pressurization, company says

At least six injured, one killed by potential defect

Owners will receive recall notices in the mail

(CNN) -- An additional 440,000 Honda vehicles are being added to a recall initially announced in November to repair a potential defect in airbag inflation systems, American Honda Motor Co. said Friday.

The recall involves driver-side airbags in certain 2001-02 Honda Accords, 2001 Civics and 2002-03 Acura TLs, the company said in a news release.

The affected vehicles will require the replacement of the steering-wheel-mounted airbag inflator.

"In some vehicles, airbag inflators can produce over-pressurization of the driver's [front] airbag inflator mechanism during airbag deployment," the release said. "If an affected inflator deploys, the increased internal pressure may cause the inflator casing to rupture. Metal fragments could pass through the cloth airbag cushion material, possibly causing an injury or fatality to vehicle occupants."

Honda spokesman Chris Noughtan said the potential defect has resulted in six known injuries and one known death.

The company will send a recall notice in the mail over the next few months, the release said. Owners may check their car's recall status by visiting the Honda "Owner Link" Web site at http://www.owners.honda.com/recalls or the Acura "My Acura" Web site at http://www.owners.acura.com/recalls.

"Only certain vehicles are affected, and concerned owners of 2001-2002 Accords, 2001 Civics and 2002-2003 Acura TLs are encouraged to wait to receive a recall notice in the mail before scheduling an appointment with their local dealer," the company said.

All AboutAmerican Honda Motor Co. Inc. • Acura Motors

When are they going to recall my 2001 Accord to replace the disposable automatic transmission.

Originally Posted By: pbm
When are they going to recall my 2001 Accord to replace the disposable automatic transmission.

HAHA, good one.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin

"If an affected inflator deploys, the increased internal pressure may cause the inflator casing to rupture. Metal fragments could pass through the cloth airbag cushion material, possibly causing an injury or fatality to vehicle occupants. Only certain vehicles are affected, and concerned owners of 2001-2002 Accords, 2001 Civics and 2002-2003 Acura TLs are encouraged to wait to receive a recall notice in the mail before scheduling an appointment with their local dealer," the company said."

I enjoy metal fragments killing me once in awhile. I shall wait until I'm dead.
Or, I just scheduled to get it fixed. Screw the letter.

Last edited:
Thanks I will let my neighbour know!
thumbsup2.gif

this is so sad. this is what happens to companies when people get an artificially high regard of them, and the company recognizes this fact and abuses it as an opportunity to profit greatly from both cost cutting and psychology-based sales.

We wouldn't have that problem if the government did not mandate airbags in the cars.

I think the answer to that is something along the lines of

Quote:
At least Honda is doing the right thing by recalling these vehicles instead of sweeping the problem under the rug

Wow, metal fragments in an airbag is not a good thing. Recalls happen and I don't necessarily think it is an indication of quality for any manufacturer. Many of the recalls we see are for parts provided by external suppliers. Maybe the parts were made poorly, maybe it was bad specs or maybe they just work differently than what they were designed for.

I think of quality more around materials used, build quality (gaps, panels, welds, etc), attention to detail, performance/ride, longevity, etc. Occasional recalls are not a big deal. Engine/transmission failures, etc are another story.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My comment to that would be, "like their 5sp-ATs?"

Anti-Honda are we?

No... not necessarily. Our integra ran 180k miles before it got rusty and we sold it. Still see it on the roads.

It is the perception of quality which, compared to the vehicles I drive, is OK at best. 180k on our integra is nothing special to me. And, considering the maintenance it has required compared to our >>200k toyota and MB diesels, as well as other assorted >>100k domestic and european cars, doesn't make me very impressed.

So, as I said before, due to the overall high level of swooning over Honda, I hold them to a higher standard. They came through OK for us, however we did not buy another.

They make a great little tiller, a very nice lawnmower and power washer engine. Heck, their engines are great (though I do see more honda oil burners than any other make). Their cars are nothing special to me. Thus, things like this recall do not suprise me.

No... not necessarily. Our integra ran 180k miles before it got rusty and we sold it. Still see it on the roads.

It is the perception of quality which, compared to the vehicles I drive, is OK at best. 180k on our integra is nothing special to me. And, considering the maintenance it has required compared to our >>200k toyota and MB diesels, as well as other assorted >>100k domestic and european cars, doesn't make me very impressed.

So, as I said before, due to the overall high level of swooning over Honda, I hold them to a higher standard. They came through OK for us, however we did not buy another.

They make a great little tiller, a very nice lawnmower and power washer engine. Heck, their engines are great (though I do see more honda oil burners than any other make). Their cars are nothing special to me. Thus, things like this recall do not suprise me.

*high five*

It's a new day when illusions begin to wear off, conventions are rethought and the enchanted people are forced to look at their reality in shock and horror. I welcome this day.

I would still take a B&S or Kohler engine any day over a Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back