Honda Accord Timing Belt -- Approx. Cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all;

One of my buddies has asked about the approximate cost to get his timing belt and water pump changed in the New England area.

2000 Honda Accord w/ 93,000 miles. Probably best to change the tensioner also. I saw on another post about $200 -- that seems low....

Thanks for your thoughts!

we charge around 300 with a Honda belt.. in New Jersey depends if anything else needs attention then its just the cost of the parts at that point..

I think dealers will charge between $500-$700 depending on whether it's the I4 or the V6, in NJ that is.

Last edited:
Timing belt, water pump, tensioner and valve cover kit might cost you around $200 online. Plus approx $200-300 labor cost depending on your preferred shop.

Originally Posted By: Loopie
Timing belt, water pump, tensioner and valve cover kit might cost you around $200 online. Plus approx $200-300 labor cost depending on your preferred shop.
Why replace anything other than the belt if it ain't broke?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Loopie
Why replace anything other than the belt if it ain't broke?

It's all about piece of mind bro. Consider this: what if your water pump fails/idler tensioner seizes 3000kms down the road after a T-belt replacement (just that part alone) and you ended up having to RE-n-RE just to service those parts, how much labour cost would you ended up paying once again? Another 4hrs+ down the drain?

That's why when a T-belt servicing is being called for, water pump and idler tentioner gets replaced as well...just another safe way to call the day.

Q.

I know that... I was being sarcastic. You wouldn't catch me replacing the water pump or tensioner unless it needed it. My tensioner is a hydraulic cylinder that adjusts a pulley which don't usually go bad ever. The water pump will make noise before seizing completely...

For me it's not worth it... But I can see the piece of mind point of view.

I know that... I was being sarcastic. You wouldn't catch me replacing the water pump or tensioner unless it needed it. My tensioner is a hydraulic cylinder that adjusts a pulley which don't usually go bad ever. The water pump will make noise before seizing completely...

I can even see the peace of mind point of view
wink.gif

I live in the new england area, southwest CT,a nd have gone through 2 timing belt jobs, on my 95 neon...Dealer is a rippoff, they wanted a good $1,200 with parts and labor. Chrysler dealer no longer here. Parts from dealer will cost abuot $400, water pump tensioner, timing belt, cam seal ect. My local mobil gas statin mechanic, did it for me twice over the past 7 years, for abuot $980 minus parts..so if yuo buy the parts yuorslef, probably $400 range..

For my 01 4cyl, I was quoted 600 at the dealer, 700 at a private mechanic.

That's with the water pump, and new tensioner, new balance shaft belts. It's not the tensioner that goes bad, it's the bearing on the idler pulley that's "permenantly lubricated".

Against Stevie's advice, I'd never go 500 bucks (or eight hours of my time) into an engine to replace the timing belt and not spend another 120 bucks on a new water pump. Think it'll make 200,000 miles? Not if you've seen one and all the plastic on it. And I sure as heck wouldn't do all that work and not spend 20 bucks on a new tensioner. Whether it's a spring or piston, it's most likely a sealed bearing on the idler that needs the attention.

Unlike most other cars, the Honda isn't a treat to do this on. In the I4 case, the engine mount runs right through the center of the belt and requires removal. It just wasn't designed for easy replacement like a cough... toyota, GM, ford.. ehhem, which is probably 3~400 for the same work. Even a subie with two banks of cylinders is somehow easier!

I just did the timing belt job on my 02 neon beater, got everything from Rock Auto, all top quality Gates parts including the water pump, belt tensioner, accessory belts and pulley and it cost $189 shipped.
While I was in there I also replaced the cam and crank seals, $10.

The job on my car is billable at 8hrs, you do the math. It took me about 5hrs.

I have done the job on two Honda's that I owned also, 1 civic, 1 accord, and IMO you are crazy if you dont replace the tensioner and water pump while you have everything tore down.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'll encourage my buddy to take his V6 engine to his trusted local mechanic and have it done there, vs. at the dealer.....

I had the bearing on the timing belt tensioner pulley freeze up on me. It was a real mess!

Originally Posted By: bepperb
For my 01 4cyl, I was quoted 600 at the dealer, 700 at a private mechanic.

That's with the water pump, and new tensioner, new balance shaft belts. It's not the tensioner that goes bad, it's the bearing on the idler pulley that's "permenantly lubricated".

Against Stevie's advice, I'd never go 500 bucks (or eight hours of my time) into an engine to replace the timing belt and not spend another 120 bucks on a new water pump. Think it'll make 200,000 miles? Not if you've seen one and all the plastic on it. And I sure as heck wouldn't do all that work and not spend 20 bucks on a new tensioner. Whether it's a spring or piston, it's most likely a sealed bearing on the idler that needs the attention.

Unlike most other cars, the Honda isn't a treat to do this on. In the I4 case, the engine mount runs right through the center of the belt and requires removal. It just wasn't designed for easy replacement like a cough... toyota, GM, ford.. ehhem, which is probably 3~400 for the same work. Even a subie with two banks of cylinders is somehow easier!

Yep, when the water pump is run off the timing belt it is about the same labor to replace the pump as the belt. At that point to me it makes sense to replace the water pump too. Digging into that area once every 100,000 is often enough for me.

Most of the time a water pump will start leaking before anything. Good idea to replace pump and tensioner.

I priced the timing belt, timing belt adjuster, timing belt idler, automatic adjuster gasket, (2) camshaft oil seals, (2) valve cover gaskets, (6) spark plug tube seals, dipstick tube o-ring, & water pump w/ gasket online last night for my car - 2002 Honda Accord V6. I did this at Majestic Honda, hondapartsdeals.com, Manchester Motorsports, & San Leandro (sp?) Honda. The least expensive was Majestic Honda at $256.48 which includes $22.24 for shipping & handling. The most expensive was SL Honda at $282.50 including $14.21 shipping & handling.

The main reason to replace the water pump when you do the timing belt is not the labor but that the pump could lock up creating quite a bit of damage. I know that you usually see the coolant weeping, but we all get busy & have others that drive the vehicles that we maintain.

Around here, the dealers advertise a 4-cyl timing belt special for $599. This includes the timing belt, water pump, coolant, drive belts and balance shaft belt. Tensioner is an additional $100 I believe.

At 110k, you also need to replace the spark plugs and perform a valve adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back