Honda Accord Safety Notices 05-10 & 08-11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys i wanted to post these letters here in case anyone who owns an accord for some reason didn't get them. My mother received them about two weeks ago in the mail. They pertain to a fuel injector timing issue (08-11 accords) and a transmission issue (05-10 accords). Here are the letters for reference.

honda2g.jpg

honda1d.jpg

Wow another transmission problem? My brother has an '09 Accord 4 cyl EX coupe. I don't think he's gotten either of thsoe letters. Maybe not all are subject to the recalls. It doesn't matter since he is selling the car.

Toyota and Honda built up a great name. It seems they lost sight of how they got it in the last 10 years. Not saying that the majority are not good vehicles but the quality took a back seat to mass production.

Thanks for posting Dakota. The first one looks like the long awaited official acknowledgment that Honda has an oil consumption problem, especially with VCM 6's.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Toyota and Honda built up a great name. It seems they lost sight of how they got it in the last 10 years. Not saying that the majority are not good vehicles but the quality took a back seat to mass production.

Software updates are common with many makes/models.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
It doesn't matter since he is selling the car.
Why not have him take it in and get it fixed properly? So the next unsuspecting "schmuck" doesn't get stuck with the problem, not realizing what the problem is; being due to the fact he would be the second owner, dealers don't typically send notices after the vehicle changes hands
wink.gif

Well, unless it's Bob Dance....lol. Car was totaled 2+ years ago, and they are still mailing me post cards for my "next scheduled service"....haha

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Thanks for posting Dakota. The first one looks like the long awaited official acknowledgment that Honda has an oil consumption problem, especially with VCM 6's.

I don't think either notice affects V-6 models. The V-6 engines don't have VTC systems...only the K-series 4-cylinders have that. The transmission programming update also applies only to the 4-cylinder models.

Remember when Honda said they keep it simple? Nothing "simple" about the auto business today.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
It doesn't matter since he is selling the car.
Why not have him take it in and get it fixed properly? So the next unsuspecting "schmuck" doesn't get stuck with the problem, not realizing what the problem is; being due to the fact he would be the second owner, dealers don't typically send notices after the vehicle changes hands
wink.gif

Well, unless it's Bob Dance....lol. Car was totaled 2+ years ago, and they are still mailing me post cards for my "next scheduled service"....haha
Actually, the manufacturer database usually gets updated, the next owner should get the notice. I agree that Toyota & Honda aren't what they once were-but the VCT engine problems seem to be common to many manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Any idea if this translates to the 2005 CR-V? Same engines I know, but the transmissions I don't.

Not sure on that one but I did get the same transmission notice for my 2009 CRV. it goes in next Wednesday for the recall. you could give a dealer a call and ask them if you are affected to be 100% certain. good call to the poster who suggests to always use the parking brake. I have always used it since I started driving.

my friend has a 2008 accord and his exhaust has the worst soot/carbon deposits I've ever seen.... hum......

I scrubbed it off the chrome tip once just to see... they came back in about a week.(in the summer)

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

Nope sorry this only for the 4cylinder Accords.

We have a 2010 Automatic HONDA CRV, and just received the first letter about oil sonsumption. Not sure about the second letter??

Got the same thing for my '10 CRV. Must say, it didn't really hit me until I read Rands comments. I noticed the same thing on ours and it actually consumed a half quart between OCI's about 2 months ago......now I know.

He did get the letters for his Accord. Like a lot of owners he didn't want to admit his foreign car had issues, but if it had been a GM car...lol. I don't know if he is going to have the recalls done, he's trading it in. And like someone else mentioned recalls will transfer to the next owner.

The 2nd recall leter seems worse then the first one. Why would software programming cause a bearing to fail unless the bearing was a poor/fragile design.

Well we took the accord in today for the fixes, and it took about an hour to do. Not too bad i suppose, they were pretty busy. (Don Ayres of Ft Wayne)

I'll check the oil level now (40% left on olm) and then check it again at this percentage next oci and see if anything changes.

My brother's 4 cyl 2008 Honda Accord Coupe with 70,000 miles already burns a quart of oil every 750-1,000 miles. I assume it is too late for his oil control rings? Would the software update be able to "clean" the rings?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
My brother's 4 cyl 2008 Honda Accord Coupe with 70,000 miles already burns a quart of oil every 750-1,000 miles. I assume it is too late for his oil control rings? Would the software update be able to "clean" the rings?

Has it done that since new? Has Honda already looked at it for mechanical problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back