Honda Accord Owner's Manual- Interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normal service- Oil change every 10,000 miles
Filer change every 20,000 miles

Manual transmission fluid- Every 120,000 miles or 6 years!

Plugs - 110,000 miles
Coolant 120,000 milel

Severe for the oil is 5,000 miles
10,000 miles for the filter.

Your talking about ExxonSuperflow 5w-20 going 10,000 miles under normal driving conditions. This must be one efficient engine design.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Your talking about ExxonSuperflow 5w-20 going 10,000 miles under normal driving conditions. This must be one efficient engine design.

Yes, but how many people do you know whose driving habits would slot them in under the normal driving catagory?

quote:

Yes, but how many people do you know whose driving habits would slot them in under the normal driving catagory?

Not many but I still find it amazing. The Corvette and some other cars with large sumps call for 15k mile drains using synthetic. We are talking a dino/blend here with a 4.4qt sump.
smile.gif
I don't know of any other car with a 4 qt sump calling for 10k mile changes using regular oil.

Honda wants their cars to look inexpensive to maintain.It's not in their best interest to make recommemdations that keep the cars running top notch.They want people to buy new ones every 4-5 years.

Stuff won't fail within the warranty period so they don't care.Stuff starts breaking due to neglect hey buy a new one!

quote:

Originally posted by TomH:

Probably the vast majority of drivers in the US and Canada, at least, feel they fall into the "normal" driving catagotry. The esteemed members of BITOG have a "slightly" different view of what is normal and what is severe
wink.gif
. I love to see one of those Honda/Fram filters cut open after being used 20,000 miles with 10,000 mile "dino" oil changes
rolleyes.gif
. These service intervals will allow the ORIGINAL owner to have extremely low maintenance costs during the warranty and up to the time it's traded in for a new model. The subsequent owners are the one's who will "pay" dearly for this. I become more and more leary about purchasing a used vehicle unless ALL the service records can be produced
frown.gif

Whimsey

I've never personally owned a Honda. However, among near relatives the Honda has been common. Among the ones I'm familiar with, the Honda has never given any problems or need of expensive repairs. They have all been driven well in excess of 200,000 miles and have been in good running order at times of trade off.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I trust the engineers but do plan on keeping this car until it dies. So for me, I'm only pushing 10k mile drains with a fully synthetic oil. Less deposits and a cleaner running engine most likely if your using a full synthetic.

I also hope you're going to change ALL your fluids on a more "reasonable" schedule if you want to keep the car till it drops.

offtopic.gif
By the way a neighbor has a silver "new" Honda coupe. That would be my first choice for a new coupe. It's a "bute" and I know Honda's, at least with manual trannies, are longterm vehicles if given decent care
grin.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:

Probably the vast majority of drivers in the US and Canada, at least, feel they fall into the "normal" driving catagotry.

You can blame nobody but the automakers for this. IMHO, they should do away with the "normal" maintenence cycle and replace it with what it now the "severe" cycle. This would make things easier and a lot less confusing for everyone, especially owners and service people.

Buster, please don't run your factory installed coolent for 6 years or 120K! Same with the plugs and tranny fluid. My Dad's factory platnium plugs were welded into the heads practicaly with only about 70K on them. Split those recomendations in half and I think with your oil prefrences etc., that car will go forever. It has a timing chain, correct?

Trust me I won't. I will at least split things in half if not more.
cheers.gif

The dealer we bought my wife's '05 Accord from told us to follow the 5000mi severe schedule; that is also the mileage they put on the windshield sticker.

I think the biggest thing is most Honda owners really do not believe the owners manual as written, for the issues that you have raised. Knowing that, Honda OEM has obliged. If your owners manual is anything like my 2004 Honda Civic's, it also has any interval, any maintenance, for any reason or season, also listed.

I have been doing 15,000 mile intervals (Mobil One 5w30) with other vehicles for so long (694,000 miles)that 10,000 mile intervals seems like excessively HIGH MAINTENANCE. But on the other hand 10,000 miles for a conventional oil like EM Superflo 5w20 (who oem's Honda 5w20) has raised the conventional oil bar considerably from the normal 3-5k intervals. I will keep that interval through the meager warranty period where I will go to a min of 15,000 to a more probable 20,000 mile OCI (Mobil One 0w20 or the new 5w20).

In years past many US auto companies recommended an oil filter change every other oil change. Heck, in my early driving days, the oil filter was optional on some cars. Back in the 60's and 70's I often made a filter last through two oil changes. Of course, back then, I changed oil more often. I would usually change every 3000 miles back then. My cars would give me notice to change oil with a pecking hydraulic valve lifter. This usually occurred at about 3000 miles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the 5/20 oils required by Ford and Honda unsually robust blends required to meet much more stringent tests than ordinary oils? They should be able to go a substantially longer time than ordinary oils, therefore, Honda's 10,000 miles should be doable. Honda engines are extraordinarily clean running and long lasting and could probably go over 200,000 miles without a filter.

I guess this is why Brand X causes sludge. I can't imagine keeping dino in the crankcase for 10K unaided by LC.

Would any 4cyl Honda owners on this board want to try that and post a UOA at 10K, then again at 20K when the filter change is recommended? It would be interesting to see the results.

I have to admit in my own mind 5w20 was at best suspect. Given that thinking, then 0w20 was more like water being sold at premium price masquerading as motor oil!!!

The truth is demand, requirements and actual quality have come a long way and the quality of 5w20 is almost stellar! UOA's and even VOA's have shown it to be very robust. while I have not tried the new SM (GF-4 etc) rated motor oils, I am sure the standard has gone upward from the SL standard. I also see that some 2005 Chryslers, in addition to Ford's and Honda's now require 5w20 oils.

My mileage goals are 250,000 and beyond. I foresee no real problems or issues (due to oil, filter or intervals) with a min of 10,000 OCI's.(up to 20,000 mile) My plan is to use PAO IV Mobil One 5w20 (after my stash of 0w20 gives out in 80,000 miles)

[ February 22, 2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

I trust the engineers but do plan on keeping this car until it dies. So for me, I'm only pushing 10k mile drains with a fully synthetic oil. Less deposits and a cleaner running engine most likely if your using a full synthetic.

The plugs are supposed to be removed half way through their life so that you can put anti-seize on the threads.
smile.gif
I don't see why the manual transmission fluid wouldn't last as long as specified.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back