Honda Accord Hybrid Tires

JHZR2

Staff member
My 2015 accord hybrid has about 70k on the OE Michelin Energy Saver AS tires. The tread is over half. But it’s getting to be that time, probably when I see a sale in the fall, to get new tires based upon age.

The energy saver AS tires have done well for me. One blew out hitting a bad pothole after a snowstorm, but it was a bad enough hole to damage the wheel too. I put an OE used tire with the same amount of tread and it has been fine.

What should I run? I do have winter tires for the car but haven’t had to run them the last few years because of weather and lockdown.

discount tire has a crazy triple stack sale right now

110 off
upto 100 rebate
10% with discount CC

YOKOHAMA AVID ASCEND LX $180​

70mir
110 off sale
10% with DT CC

~~480+ labor and tax.

energy savers are 202x4 = (808-110) -10%
$630+labor and fees

Last edited:
How much is your focus on the MPG with the low rolling resistance? Here is the old review from TireRack that put the Energy Saver as one of the best at that time for the MPG and looks like overall. If you are only running 10k per year maybe something else would work for you.

My quick math, the difference of 53mpg and 48mpg for 10k per year is 20 gallons difference ($65-80 at todays prices). The psychological impact of seeing that lesser amount only you can say.

If you go to the ratings charts only half would recommend the Energy Saver. It also has a pretty low treadwear rating and you got 7/70 out of them.

You have winter tires so that is good. Something like the Michelin CC2 or Hankook Kinergy Kinergy 4S2 might allow you to just use those since they are severe snow rated. I always recommend the true winter for safety but others seem to really like the all-weathers and I have recommended to others that I know won't get winters.

A different option might be tires that rated for less noise since the Accord's are not the most quiet vehicle. My Pirelli P7 AS2 made a bug difference in my '17 Accord LX vs the Goodyear WeatherReady. It is much more pleasurable to drive on road trips. With them on a road trip I get almost 40mpg and almost 600 miles/tank with my 2.4L 6MT.

There is a separate recent thread about quiet tires recommended by members.

For me with the difference of 20 gallons per year, I would go for something that is quiet, rides nice and has better wet grip. I'll sacrifice some mpg's for safety and comfort.

How much is your focus on the MPG with the low rolling resistance? Here is the old review from TireRack that put the Energy Saver as one of the best at that time for the MPG and looks like overall. If you are only running 10k per year maybe something else would work for you.

My quick math, the difference of 53mpg and 48mpg for 10k per year is 20 gallons difference ($65-80 at todays prices). The psychological impact of seeing that lesser amount only you can say.

If you go to the ratings charts only half would recommend the Energy Saver. It also has a pretty low treadwear rating and you got 7/70 out of them.

You have winter tires so that is good. Something like the Michelin CC2 or Hankook Kinergy Kinergy 4S2 might allow you to just use those since they are severe snow rated. I always recommend the true winter for safety but others seem to really like the all-weathers and I have recommended to others that I know won't get winters.

A different option might be tires that rated for less noise since the Accord's are not the most quiet vehicle. My Pirelli P7 AS2 made a bug difference in my '17 Accord LX vs the Goodyear WeatherReady. It is much more pleasurable to drive on road trips. With them on a road trip I get almost 40mpg and almost 600 miles/tank with my 2.4L 6MT.

There is a separate recent thread about quiet tires recommended by members.

For me with the difference of 20 gallons per year, I would go for something that is quiet, rides nice and has better wet grip. I'll sacrifice some mpg's for safety and comfort.
Yeah the option for something quieter and better is why I made this post. I’ve been very happy with the energy saver tires, but others like the P7 or Goodyear assurance comfort drive (which did very well on the TR test) may be in play too. I like high MPGs but won’t fret it too much.

Yeah the option for something quieter and better is why I made this post. I’ve been very happy with the energy saver tires, but others like the P7 or Goodyear assurance comfort drive (which did very well on the TR test) may be in play too. I like high MPGs but won’t fret it too much.
Why not stop by your local Costco for some Michelin tires, whether they are costco-specific relabels or not?

Why not stop by your local Costco for some Michelin tires, whether they are costco-specific relabels or not?
I have a Costco membership and have done that with our van’s defenders and my S-10 ZR2’s BFG AT KO2. That doesn’t mean that a circa 2009 energy saver tire is the “best of” anymore, nor am I bound to one company.

In May of this year, I had a set of Continental TrueContact Tour tires put on my friend's 2015 CR-V; $800 cash all in. I have never used Contis before. They transformed the SUV. I was amazed. Ultra smooth, quiet and stable ride.
Mani told me the tires were so quiet (vs the original Hankooks) she had to roll down the window.

Just another suggestion. I posted this tire purchase here on BOB.

I was rotating tires on our van and checked the accord tires. I have to say, I’m pretty pleased at over 70k miles and 7 years…

rear:
C394D2D1-C3BA-4310-8BFD-DE31BCA5FCF4.jpeg

Front:

76DB3351-557E-444A-8F9C-4D00119A4D79.jpeg

Yes, I run snow tires in the winter, but I haven’t for the last few years, and I drive a good amount less in the winter, and I run them for three months or less. So these tires are wearing really well on my HAH, especially since they’re OE tires.
76DB3351-557E-444A-8F9C-4D00119A4D79.jpeg

I would be inclined to find a sticky summer or performance tire that is good at moving water, with noise as a consideration. Yes, they will wear faster and hurt fuel economy. I would rather take that hit on cost than suddenly - and possibly momentarily - regret driving on hockey pucks during a panic stop. A quick search on the topic found the article linked below. Yes, it's Consumer Reports, but I'm not suggesting we take their opinion as to a specific product to buy, but rather to appreciate the concept of LRR vs a more standard or performance tire. Long tread life and improved fuel economy come at a cost, and that cost is grip.

As for a specific tire suggestion, I haven't bought a car tire in a long time. My closest relevant experience is a tire that appears to have been superseded by the Firestone Firehawk AS. They wore like erasers under aggressive driving, but man did they stick. As for noise, who knows. Crown Vics aren't exactly refined. Edit - The tire was a Firehawk GT.

Although I'm sure it's been done to death, I would like to personally put a Vericom in a vehicle with aged LRR tires and test those against a new set of performance tires. The numbers could be interesting.

Last edited:
I was rotating tires on our van and checked the accord tires. I have to say, I’m pretty pleased at over 70k miles and 7 years…

rear:
View attachment 116378

Front:

View attachment 116380

Yes, I run snow tires in the winter, but I haven’t for the last few years, and I drive a good amount less in the winter, and I run them for three months or less. So these tires are wearing really well on my HAH, especially since they’re OE tires.View attachment 116380

what do the sidewalls look like? :sneaky:

If the OE Michelins worked, why not stick with them? Personally, I’ve been meh on Bridgestone and Goodyear based on OE experiences.

Caveat emptor, Michelin does denote OE tires with DT and in many cases an OE(BMW RSC + star, GM TPC, VAG specs for Audi/Porsche, etc). So the aftermarket Energy Saver/Premier/Pilot/Primacy will not be the exact tire as OE.

Back