Honda Accord 2003 3L V6 J30A4, 60K, Mobil1 5W-30, OCI 10K, Purolator PureOne

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap

-

Car was autox'ed may be 4-5 times, including one full autox school day
smile.gif

It seems like 10K on Mobil1 is nothing exceptional.

This time I put Honda 0w20 (local dealership had huge sale), so far engine seems to rev a bit easier.

Not sure about sodium thou.

Old test is here http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002585#000000

I think if you look at Mobil 1 in the last year you will see that amount of sodium is normal. Nickel is interesting though. I would probably consult Terry about it since you are at the end of your powertrain warranty. Might be good to document a potential problem.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I think if you look at Mobil 1 in the last year you will see that amount of sodium is normal. Nickel is interesting though. I would probably consult Terry about it since you are at the end of your powertrain warranty. Might be good to document a potential problem.

I replaced OEM filter at the time I changed oil last time with WIX and expected sodium to go down, which did not happen for some reason.
Unfortunately I can not track back when filter was replaced previous time but judging but it's condition it was at lest 20-30K on it.
I'm thinking to try something else this time since WIX did not really impressed me, but may be I'm wrong.

Right now I'm actually regret I used w30 instead Honda recommended w20 all this time - with w20 car definitely feels better but milage for some reason did not changed at all.

As far as warranty goes it is 2003 model year and at that time Honda had only 36K powertrain warranty

I am with Al on the nickle thing. I would consult Terry. My cheat sheet says nickel is roller bearing,camshafts and followers,thrust washers,and valvestems.

Did you leave the factory fill in for the full OCI, or did you dump early? The nickel seems really high - should be 0. Even my break-in oil had 0 nickel (Honda 3.5L V6). I'd expect at least some wear to show up in the break-in.

Milage - OCI
6929 - 6929
15463 - 8534
21953 - 6490
28273 - 6320
34820 - 6547

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0w30 with PureOne were used every time.

According to my manual oil must be changes every 7500 miles.

First oil test were made only at 41K.

quote:

Originally posted by ap:
Milage - OCI
6929 - 6929
15463 - 8534
21953 - 6490
28273 - 6320
34820 - 6547

Mobil 1 SuperSyn 0w30 with PureOne were used every time.

According to my manual oil must be changes every 7500 miles.

First oil test were made only at 41K.

Okay, well that shoots down my theory. In my opinion, your oil change regimen is just fine (and you could go longer if you wanted to). But there is something definately out of place with that nickel. It might be nothing, but I looked around on this board and the only nickel I found was in a honda engine was from your previous UOA.

I'll be the third to say it, send it to Terry Dyson and he can help you track down the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back