Honda Accord 2.4 oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have another question...I am interested in doing my own oil changes. Today i bought some rhino ramps to drive the car up on. I looked under and the only thing i think ill have an issue with is taking off the oil filter, i dont want to get burned and its in a pretty tight place. anyone with a 7th gen 2.4 accord? what do you use to take the filter off? ALSO main question, the place i get my oil changed now uses Castrol Syntec, thats what the receipt says anyway. I will continue to use synthetic, but i was wondering if Mobil 1 would be better than the castrol syntec/edge. I do lots of cold starts and short trips if that makes any difference. And my car has the k24 piston slap when cold(every morning start) so would either of these oils help quiet that down. and as for the filter, would a purolator original or fram tough gard filter be better?

On my TSX, I remove the passenger side wheel and remove through the wheel well. This may not be an option for you if all you have is ramps, though, unfortunately.

Purolator Classic would be good.
PureONE's would be nice, and are available on amazon for under $6.
The silicone adbv of the pure1 MAY help with noise on startup.

Between Syntec and Mobil 1, there both fine oils.

You have piston slap in FL cold starts?? It has been 80f+ everywhere lately. Do you have the dealership installed Honda filter on? The A-01 is basically Fram so I would go with the Purolator or go ahead and try the Mobil or K&N oil filter. They will probably be on sale next month or so at one of the auto part stores. They have M1 and Mobil filter specials if you want to save some $$. The oil really shouldnt make much of a difference, though, the filter can. I always liked the M1/K&N on my 2.4 Honda's. Just my 2 cents.

yepp it does. piston slap every time. i would like for it to stop, im worried about damage.

From what I've read on the net, every engine, even the same model/version, is different and "prefers" different oils...different brands and different weight ranges, some like dino and some synthetic...the same may be said for filters, though I've not come to any conclusions about that.

If you have piston slap some will say you need a thinner oil to start lubricating sooner....some will say you need a thicker oil...some say dino will coat the parts better than syn...others say syn has more viscosity...

How many miles on your engine...? That may get you some more relevant advice...

Good luck...really....

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
From what I've read on the net, every engine, even the same model/version, is different and "prefers" different oils...different brands and different weight ranges, some like dino and some synthetic...the same may be said for filters, though I've not come to any conclusions about that.

If you have piston slap some will say you need a thinner oil to start lubricating sooner....some will say you need a thicker oil...some say dino will coat the parts better than syn...others say syn has more viscosity...

How many miles on your engine...? That may get you some more relevant advice...

Good luck...really....

IMO, synthetic is always better. just because of the protection it offers. and i will only use the recommended weight for my car which is 5w-20 thats as this as its going to get anyway. Does dyno coat parts better? i thought synthetic did.

I'm conservative/careful too in that when I switched from dino to syn I stayed with the same weight range for kitacam (5w-30)

Yes, I've read some comments that dino leaves a residual coating on metal...I'm not backing that comment...just sayin'...the web can be very contradictory, esp. with so many experts out here...

Are you sure it's not your vtc actuator? I haven't read about a lot of slap problems on the k series.
On my wife's I reach down from above to grab filter

On our 2006 Accord, I use PureOne filters with the textured grippy coating to facilitate removal by hand. I have skinny forearms and am able to reach up and get it off without getting scorched by the exhaust. I do let the car cool down for a while after getting it up on the ramps, seems to make removing the filter easier vs. when hot.

Honda makes nice cars but they fail miserably in the area of ease of maintenance, especially for simple tasks.

jeff

My mechanic does my oil changes due to warranty. He always wears long sleeves and mechanix gloves.
I don't have experience with piston slap.
For oil I would try an 0w20 maybe the much better viscosity and higher wear additives would help. Eneos sustina, TGMO or Mazda with Moly oil, combined with a Fram ultra, Mobil 1, KN, BD+, P1 filter would assist in lessening the piston slap? You could always try some MOS2 with your current oil and see how that helps with increasing moly. At least it would assist in lessening wear from the piston slap.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back