Honda A167 Maintenance Code - Rear diff?

2020 Honda Pilot with about 10k miles here.

I'm already receiving this code - which specifies a rear diff fluid change?

This seems really early - or am I missing something?

It’s also important to note that while there will always be a Main Item displayed in the message, Sub Items are only periodically displayed since they are based on a time and mileage schedule.

6= rear differential, 7 = brake fluid. Brake fluid is done every 3 years based on production date. If you will exceed the 3 year mark before the next service, the code will appear with the current service.

The first diff fluid service is usually quite early, subsequent ones are closer to the 30K mark.

thanks...I'll probably do this myself.

do I need a scan tool to reset the codes? I did the brake fluid swap with the last oil change - and thought I reset it. I was a little surprised to see it come back.

(on my older honda, the minder can be be reset from the console menus).

The hardest part about this job is cracking the fill bolt loose on the diff the first time.

Do this before you drain the diff so you dont brick the car.

do I need a scan tool to reset the codes? I did the brake fluid swap with the last oil change - and thought I reset it. I was a little surprised to see it come back.

On the newer models, you can reset individual service item via the cluster or radio.

thanks guys, appreciate it.

on my older honda - I needed a breaker bar to loosen the transfer case plug - I was pretty shocked how difficult it was to open the first go around.

Last edited:
updating my own thread. I'm laid up for a bit and did not want to defer the service any longer.

$460 at the dealer. unreal. absolutely unreal.

updating my own thread. I'm laid up for a bit and did not want to defer the service any longer.

Seems average to me. Jiffy Lube gets about $150 for an oil change/rotate, other fluid changes are usually $150-$225 each.

guess I was completely out of touch. The oil change was only $50 - which seemed more than reasonable.

Dang. Too bad you don’t have someone close to help. I’d have helped for a steak dinner lol

2020 Honda Pilot with about 10k miles here.

I'm already receiving this code - which specifies a rear diff fluid change?

This seems really early - or am I missing something?
Check you owners book... That is normal. I have a 2021 AWD HRV and the first change is at 15000 miles then every 30000 miles... Be sure to use the right fluid ... I would go OEM fluid on this...

again look at your owners book.. You DO NOT need a scanner to reset....

LMAO! My indy told me $150 for rear differential, and I thought that was expensive!

sorry, my post was unclear. the bill included oil change, brake fluid exchange, tire rotation, and rear diff fluid change.

I think the diff alone was about $180, so your indy isn't too far out of line I guess. I bet he doesn't include a ton of junk shop fees either.

sorry, my post was unclear. the bill included oil change, brake fluid exchange, tire rotation, and rear diff fluid change.

I think the diff alone was about $180, so your indy isn't too far out of line I guess. I bet he doesn't include a ton of junk shop fees either.
$460 is on the high side but not outrageous if you had the diff, brake fluid and oil change together. I did the diff myself but let Honda do the brake job (21 Pilot). I think it was $200 IIRC.

so follow-up number 2. this is weird.

we bought this truck new, and from day 1, the brakes seemed to have a lack of initial bite, as if they needed to be bled. I figured it was weird trans downshift, or I would fix it with different brake pads.

after the brake bleed, the difference is somewhat surprising. anyone had a car from the factory with brake air installed as a feature?

I'm pissed at myself for not trying to fix it myself earlier - I swapped/turkey "bastered" the fluid at the reservoir but got lazy and didn't go as far to bleed it through.

Back