Honda 3.5l...the dreaded oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I used a heavy weight 0w-30 HDEO (XD-3) in my wife's 3.2TL. The UOA was really very good. Terry Dyson told me to stop using it because there was too much phosphorus (an HDEO issue). The weight was not a problem. There was a very good UOA on a 5w-40 in a honda 3.0L v6 a number of years ago.

These engines are spec'd for up to 5w-40 in other parts of the world if I can believe what others have said here on BITOG. Incidentally, I find this quite believable.

Interesting. Was this just because of potential convertor poisoning or something else?

That would make sense. He didn't say why and I didn't ask. This is a borderline 40wt and it did quite well. This was through a very cold canadian winter too.

Okay, I decided to go with YB 5W20. I wanted to get Platinum since it got "Rollbacked" to $20 for the 5 qt jug. But the wifey was giving me the "why do you need to buy more oil?" stare. Grabbed another Supertech Filter since I figured I may as well start stocking up on those.

Excellent choice for both filter and oil.
01.gif

I figure the way the prices are going for filters, Supertechs will be $5 by the end of the year....

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
01.gif

I figure the way the prices are going for filters, Supertechs will be $5 by the end of the year....

Yeah, SuperTechs aren't even worth the money anymore. I pay about $0.20 more for Wix filters shipped to my door.

Yeah, but can you get your Wix and a giant roll of hamburger meat in the same buggy? Lol... May try to change tomorrow. Maintenance minder is at 10%.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Yeah, but can you get your Wix and a giant roll of hamburger meat in the same buggy? Lol... May try to change tomorrow. Maintenance minder is at 10%.

Meh, Walmart meat is expensive and nothing special.

Where?
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
01.gif

Yeah, SuperTechs aren't even worth the money anymore. I pay about $0.20 more for Wix filters shipped to my door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back