Honda 2.4L -Oil Color ? (Redline 5w-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that the oil in my car gets dark brown at around 4k miles. I have about 7,000 miles on Redline 5w-20 right now, but even with M1 previously and the factory oil, I noticed it gets fairly dark.

Many of you say that the oil is still clear after thousands of miles. I'm thinking either I didn't break-in the engine correctly, or it's just the nature of the engine. I varied the rpms a lot the first 1k miles. Hit 4,500 rpms now and then while breaking it in. I'm thinking that I'm getting blow by which is darkening the oil??

I know that fresh RL in a bottle is kind of dark but when I first do an oil change, it's fairly light brown on the dipstick. Now I also have to consider the fact that this car sees 80-90mph hour long drives 2x a day with frequent redline shifting.

Only way to tell will be when I do a UOA which will be shortly. My daily commute is going to lengthen, so I picked up a Amsoil Ea oil filter ($19!) and plan on running RL 5w-20 as far as the analysis says I can take it. This report that I will be sending in will be more like a racing UOA.
grin.gif

I have the same engine in my 2005 CR-V and it is somewhat darker but still clear dark amber, not fully opaque like you make yours sound. Granted, I don't race it!

when you floor an engine, it "dumps" fuel at a very rich mixture, right? Some of that fuel likely goes into the oil and then as those foreign substances change chemically, they probably effectte makeup of the oil.

This would be my guess... redline should be fine for hours and hours of, well, redline.

JMH

Yeah I do run it pretty hard. UOA should be interesting. Thanks guys.

I have around 4k on RL 5W-20 in a '03 CR-V, same motor as both you and Chris have, I think (2.4L i-vtec), and the oil is not yet dark brown, but headed in that direction. We don't push the motor as hard as you, though.

I don't see a cause for concern with the change in color. The UOA should tell you what's up.

Doesn't the RL website recommend that you change at 7.5k - 8k miles, or something like that, for "hard" service (for which you would definitely qualify
nono.gif
wink.gif
)? If they're right, and the UOA confirms it, you'll be ready for an OC very soon anyway.

Redline is one of the oils that gets quite dark when exposed to nothing but heat. Don't be concerned about that. Other two great oils that darken a lot are Lubromoly 5W-40 and Green GC. Two similar oils that do not darken as much from heat are Lubromoly 0W-40 and Gold GC...go figure.

Dyno or synth, mine stays light brown for at least 4-5k. 2002 CR-V, btw. I'd take your dark Redline over my light Formula Shell anyday, though.
lol.gif

With my engine 2.2L Ecotec - oil with GC 0w30 stays pretty light until 5,000 miles. Haven't made it past 5k without changing it so I can't tell ya what it looks like beyond that. As a few other posters - I practically never redline my car or go WOT (maybe 80% engine load up a hill).

JAG - thanks for the information or I would have gone beserk seeing GC Green darken - am going to use it for the first time next oil change
smile.gif
. Never had GC Gold darken
tongue.gif

Thanks simple gifts.
cheers.gif
Just to be clear, I don't redline on every shift. I only hit redline maybe once a day. I do shift around 4k rpms though, which is what it takes to get this VTec engine of mine to move.
smile.gif

See how it does the second time around. My little Toyota 2.4 I4 did not dirty the Redline fast at all. It took a solid 4000-5000 miles before I could the oil was in use. Now once it started to darken though it darkened up quickly! I had ran nothing but dino Redline 5W40 was the first synthetic I ran in the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back