Honda 2.4 Oil consumption ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 800 miles on my car. Broke it in lightly. Didn't shift above 4k rpms and varied the rpms often. I'm about 1/4 of a qt low. Is this normal? It could be that the rings still havn't seated. If not, should be flooring it?
grin.gif
cheers.gif

Buster, you should be flooring it on occasion, just don’t get the RPMs up above 4K or so. You need that combustion pressure to seat the rings. They’ll have a hard time seating if you are too easy on it. You don’t want to race the engine, you just want work it hard.

I also have a new Accord with the 2.4 engine and about 800 miles. Oil level is just a tad low, but I've noticed a few small drops of oil on the garage floor. Haven't had a chance to run it over to the dealer yet.

I've tried to vary my driving, with a good mix of highway but mostly city miles. No flooring, though. Of course, the manual says no special break-in procedures are required.

Would be interested in other comments on this.

biscuitboy, I've added about 1/4 of a qt so far with almost 900 miles on it. Have taken it fairly easy on it but have constantly reved the rpms up to 4k and below. No cruise control or constant highway speed.

A guy over at the Honda forum and here, RTexasF, said his car went through 3/4 of a qt in the first 1,500 miles. After that, car uses NO oil at all.

buster, why don't you just change it out earlier than you planned to get the break-in gunk out of there?

IMO, use PZ or Chevron/Havoline 5w-20 which contains a higher dose of moly as your replacement fill...

[ February 20, 2005, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: ToyotaNSaturn ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I have about 800 miles on my car. Broke it in lightly. Didn't shift above 4k rpms and varied the rpms often. I'm about 1/4 of a qt low. Is this normal? It could be that the rings still havn't seated. If not, should be flooring it?
grin.gif
cheers.gif

Don't sweat it. I had the same oil consumption fear during the first 2k miles with the same engine. I had to add 2/3 of a quart by the time I changed it at 5,000. I now have 21k miles and no oil consumption at all!

quote:

Don't sweat it. I had the same oil consumption fear during the first 2k miles with the same engine. I had to add 2/3 of a quart by the time I changed it at 5,000. I now have 21k miles and no oil consumption at all!

Razl, what oil are you running now? Do you think it takes this long for the rings to seat? Seems like a long time.
confused.gif

buster, I would not sweat it. If it is doing this at 5000 miles I would a be little concerned but not to worried. We know that some Honda's especialy the VTEC models like to burn some oil! I am not saying that it should burn enough oil to be detected on the dip stick only that it is fairly common!

I also think that most people consider it common for engines to burn more oil dureing break in! My Camry burnt oil once when I first switched over to a synthetic it burnt a 1/4 of a quart! It has not used any detectable amount of oil since! So I think wait and see is in order!

P.S. If you are doing a lot of down shifting/engine breaking you will use slightly more oil!

I'll have to check again soon. We should be at about 900 miles on ours now. Checked it around 500-600 and it was stip up around the upper mark. Didn't think to check it when we bought it, so I don't know where it started at.

The only think I don't like about it right now is it is getting (relatively) poor gas mileage - 23mpg. I expected to get more than that out of it. Plus it seems unusually hard to start; 10-20 seconds of cranking before it catches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back