Honda 1.6 I-Dtec Oil?

So I'm buying a Honda Civic soon with the 1.6 i-dtec engine in it. It's a 1.6 turbo diesel with 118hp and probably some of the highest MPG I've ever seen reported from a vehicle. (Think 70+ UK MPG kind of levels!).

Anyway, I am going to be home servicing it once (maybe twice) a year as I do typically 12,000 miles per year to and from work. My journeys are relatively comfortable, half motorway, 1 quarter A/B roads, and 1 quarter country lanes.

I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on the ideal oil for this engine. As it's a diesel, I'd like to get one that's known for really good cleanliness ability, and also as it's an eco focussed engine one that is good for economy also.

Some people seem to suggest the original engine fill was 0w-16 / 0w-20 but most of the service packs I see for sale come with 0w-30 which I imagine would sap a bit of the efficiency? The manual literally just states "Genuine Honda Diesel Oil #1.0" as their specification!

Any info and recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jack

Is this brand new? Does it have a warranty? If not then I'd use any ACEA C3 oil (ignore the viscosity, it's not important in our climate) which will be more than adequate for that engine and 6,000mile intervals.

Back