Honda 0w20 Full synthetic oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of trying Honda 0w20 Full synthetic oil on my 1988 civic Lx 1.5L.
Is this too thin ?
Manual states 5w30 recommended.
Car is used primarily in cold weather months.

This is what Honda states on their website:

0W-20 Engine Oil – Now and for the Future
Honda 0W-20 engine oil is a full synthetic formula that provides advanced protection against oil breakdown for a cleaner running engine. Oil naturally becomes thicker at lower temperatures and thinner at higher temperatures. Oil viscosity is how thick or thin an oil is, which affects how it flows in the engine. Thinner oil has a lower viscosity, and therefore flows faster. The thin properties of Honda 0W-20 engine oil allow the oil to circulate more quickly, reducing engine operating temperatures and increasing cold start protection when most engine wear takes place and reducing friction to promote lower fuel consumption.

thanks

parts_overview_oil.jpg

You should stick with the specified 30 grade for your Honda, it wasn't back spec'd to a 20 grade like the later Honda's were. I would look for a 0w30, or blend the Honda 0w20 with Mobil 1 0w40 somewhere around a 60/40 (60% Honda 40% 0w40)

If you know you will never get your oil up to temperature, then the 0w20 would be fine.

Why ? Is it too thin ? The tolerances on the older Honda engine are greater right ?
To think an oil will cause wear ?

If the clearances are higher than modern Honda engines the oil will flow too quickly through the passages resulting in a possible low oil pressure.

It may work , but i am no expert on clearances of bearings in Hondas.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If the clearances are higher than modern Honda engines the oil will flow too quickly through the passages resulting in a possible low oil pressure.

Positive displacement pump, so the flow will be the same, regardless of viscosity once warm.

Oil pressure isn't what stops wear in bearings, it's hydrodynamic lubrication that protects them...you can have hydrodynamic lubrication on a bearing with zero oil pressure in the gallery immediately prior to the bearing if the oil inlet is located right.

Hydrodynamic lubrication is a separation pressure that is created by the difference in speed between the journal and the bearing, the diameter and width of the bearing, the radial clearance, and the lubricant viscosity itself (higher viscosity, greater separation).

Honda are (their words), going to larger projected areas, and tighter radial clearances as they chase viscosity.

Originally Posted By: Robb.
Should I try German Castrol 0w30 ?

That might be thicker than what you're really aiming at, and it will be oppressively expensive at Walmart, unless on rollback. It would work, though. We all know, however, how one litre synthetic bottles work out at WM and CT.

Other options include M1 AFE 0w-30 (available in larger containers) and Petro-Canada Supreme Synthetic 0w-30 (available at much lower prices than WM or CT synthetics). If you want a thicker GC style 0w-30 grade without the GC style price, Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 from Imperial Oil would also do the trick.

I agree with the others, you should stay with the 30 weight that your car is spec'ed for. Use 0w30 if you want better cold weather protection. German Castrol is almost a 40 weight, yes it would work but its kind of going the opposite way as far as what you are looking for.

Robb, how far is your typical commute? If it's a short commute, it's possible that even the 0W-20 won't heat up enough such that the oil reaches the intended operational viscosity. In other words, even the 0W-20 might remain thicker than the intended ~10 cSt Honda intends for your engine.

While this may be true for a relatively new car, OP's civic is from 1988 and probably has quite a bit of mileage on it. This means the tolerances inside the engine are even wider than factory specs so I wouldn't recommend a 0w20. 0w30 is ideal.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Robb, how far is your typical commute? If it's a short commute, it's possible that even the 0W-20 won't heat up enough such that the oil reaches the intended operational viscosity. In other words, even the 0W-20 might remain thicker than the intended ~10 cSt Honda intends for your engine.

Robb,

Just use a full synthetic 5w-30. My wife has a 97 Civic and it's on Mobil 1 5W-30 year round. Another great choice is Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 (running in my 98 Sienna).

Look for your Sales at Canadian tire.

For our US members, it's hard to get 0W-30 for a cheap price up here (even on Sale). Our Walmarts don't carry the full Mobil 1 line for cheap like they do down south.

Regards, JC.

My first car was a 88 civic lx. I loved that car. It was unfortunate it burned a lot of oil. It ran dry a few times(noob back then) but it kept chugging. Speaking of that, i think you are nuts running anything less than 5w-30.

I'd run pennzoil 5w-30 high mileage.

How much did you pay for that ? Looks very clean

Last edited:
So I dropped into my local Canadian tire today and found these 5w30 full synthetics.
I think the prices are insane !!!!

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

The Castrol 0w30 is German made while the 5w30 is USA made.

I can get Honda 5w30 fully synthetic from my Honda dealer for $8.60 + tax after my discount.
Who makes this oil ?

08798-9039.jpg

Unless Canadian Tire is having a sale, their prices on oil are atrocious. The Honda 5W30 IIRC is made by Petro Canada (Suncor), unless the supplier has changed.

Partsource has Mobil 1 on sale this week. I believe it's $31.99 / 5 litre jug.

Originally Posted By: Audioquest

Partsource has Mobil 1 on sale this week. I believe it's $31.99 / 5 litre jug.

Full synthetic ?

Napa has Pennzoil platinum full synthetic for $26.99

http://www.flyertown.ca/flyers/napaautoparts-flyer?type=1&locale=en&postal_code=m6b2c1&store_code=0143#!/flyers/napaautoparts-flyer?flyer_run_id=18219

Where did you find that Honda are after 10cst operational viscosity in their engines ?

That would be a great source document to add to my library.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Where did you find that Honda are after 10cst operational viscosity in their engines ?

That would be a great source document to add to my library.

Hokiefyd is among the Honda cognoscenti. I'm pretty sure the Honda engines he was referring to was of the sort in the OP's '88 Honda LX, when 5W-30 was the recommended weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back