HONDA 0W-20 syn / Honda CRV / 1.5L DI turbo / 5k miles

First UOA on my 2017 CR-V as I was a little concerned about the reported fuel dilution problems with the 1.5 turbo DI engine.
The UOA showed 3% fuel. I have not noticed a rise in the oil level and none of the previous oil changes smelled like there was a lot of fuel in the oil.
I am sticking to 5,000 mile OCIs which is about 30% on the OLM.
CR-V.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I’ll be doing a UOA on our 2018 CRV later this year before winter hits. Ive been curious about the fuel dilution issue.
I don't do a lot of short tripping. My commute is about 10 miles, 20 minutes and we do a couple of highway runs a month.
The only issue that we have with our CR-V is the slow warm up times in cold weather. Good thing it has heated seats.

I don't do a lot of short tripping. My commute is about 10 miles, 20 minutes and we do a couple of highway runs a month.
The only issue that we have with our CR-V is the slow warm up times in cold weather. Good thing it has heated seats.

The slower warmup time likely contributes to fuel dilution in those 1.5L engines.

My brother had a 2018 CRV 1.5L that definitely was an oil diluter. Honda’s “solution” was to re-program the engine management computer to produce a faster warmup time. It didn’t really help.

UOAs on oil diluters:

I’ve used Blackstone in the past for UOAs and I generally like them. However, it’s been my understanding they test fuel dilution using the “open cup” method (versus closed cup), which I believe requires them to extrapolate a fuel dilution value based on other values in the UOA.

I began using Oil Analyzers when I acquired the Santa Fe because it’s a non-turbo GDI and I believe O/A uses the closed cup method for testing for fuel dilution.

I’ve used Blackstone in the past for UOAs and I generally like them. However, it’s been my understanding they test fuel dilution using the “open cup” method (versus closed cup), which I believe requires them to extrapolate a fuel dilution value based on other values in the UOA.

I began using Oil Analyzers when I acquired the Santa Fe because it’s a non-turbo GDI and I believe O/A uses the closed cup method for testing for fuel dilution.
The method of measuring flash point isn't the problem, both would result in a calculated or inferred fuel dilution value. Neither one is a direct measurement unlike gas chromatography. That is a method that is much more accurate.

Honda 0w-20 full synth.
It looks like it turned into 0W-16... Given the 3% fuel dilution and that it was 0W-20, to begin with, I think that it held up pretty well. Viscosity retention when fuel dilution is involved has a lot to do with oil formulation. To me, it looks like Castrol EDGE EP has the edge (no pun intended) when it comes to viscosity retention. Their 0W-20 EP has an MB229.71 approval and claims ACEA C5. It's a very strong 0W-20 considering that you can run it in performance cars like the Toyota Supra and some 2.0 T-powered Infinity sport sedans. If I had one of these 1.5T engines, I would run either Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20 or 5W-30 in it. The 5W-30 is what many Ford guys run in their 2.7T and 3.5T engines, and I've seen it severely fuel diluted and still in the high 9 CST area for viscosity at 100C. Just look around here for some UOAs. I am switching to EDGE EP in the Sonata. The Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 doesn't deal that well with fuel dilution.

It looks like it turned into 0W-16... Given the 3% fuel dilution and that it was 0W-20, to begin with, I think that it held up pretty well. Viscosity retention when fuel dilution is involved has a lot to do with oil formulation. To me, it looks like Castrol EDGE EP has the edge (no pun intended) when it comes to viscosity retention. Their 0W-20 EP has an MB229.71 approval and claims ACEA C5. It's a very strong 0W-20 considering that you can run it in performance cars like the Toyota Supra and some 2.0 T-powered Infinity sport sedans. If I had one of these 1.5T engines, I would run either Castrol EDGE EP 0W-20 or 5W-30 in it. The 5W-30 is what many Ford guys run in their 2.7T and 3.5T engines, and I've seen it severely fuel diluted and still in the high 9 CST area for viscosity at 100C. Just look around here for some UOAs. I am switching to EDGE EP in the Sonata. The Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 doesn't deal that well with fuel dilution.
Thanks.

I may may go with the Edge EP for the next OCI.

There was a guy on here who was running 0w40 in his Honda 1.5T with good results. I think he lived up in Wisconsin also.

That said even with the fairly severe oil dilution, the wear metals don't seem to be excessive. If it's still under warranty keep running the 0w20. If it's out of warranty, I would go up a grade if the car was mine, just $0.02.

Thanks.

I may may go with the Edge EP for the next OCI.
There was a guy on here who was running 0w40 in his Honda 1.5T with good results. I think he lived up in Wisconsin also.

That said even with the fairly severe oil dilution, the wear metals don't seem to be excessive. If it's still under warranty keep running the 0w20. If it's out of warranty, I would go up a grade if the car was mine, just $0.02.
The vehicle is under warranty. Also, we did have the software upgrade done in 2019. Not sure whether it did anything or not.

First UOA on my 2017 CR-V as I was a little concerned about the reported fuel dilution problems with the 1.5 turbo DI engine.
The UOA showed 3% fuel. I have not noticed a rise in the oil level and none of the previous oil changes smelled like there was a lot of fuel in the oil.
I am sticking to 5,000 mile OCIs which is about 30% on the OLM.View attachment 61851
Try M1 AFE 0w-20. It starts out at 8.8 vis vs. 8.6 for EP and seems quieter in my Camry. Jmo.

That’s a very good UOA and I wouldn’t change a thing! Given the “slow warm ups” and fuel dilution, 5k with this Honda oil works very well. Don’t mess with the recommended viscosity. If I had to change something, I wouldn’t do slow warm ups. I’d get in the car, start it , put my seatbelt on and drive gently for 5-10 min. You might see less fuel dilution.

That’s a very good UOA and I wouldn’t change a thing! Given the “slow warm ups” and fuel dilution, 5k with this Honda oil works very well. Don’t mess with the recommended viscosity. If I had to change something, I wouldn’t do slow warm ups. I’d get in the car, start it , put my seatbelt on and drive gently for 5-10 min. You might see less fuel dilution.
That's what I have done for as long as we have had the CR-V. The Honda 1.5 liter engines simply do not warm up just idling.
Good thing it has heated seats and I live in the south. I pity the folks that live in the cold weather states.

Back