HONDA 0W-20 syn / Honda CRV / 1.5L DI turbo / 5k miles

It's a decent forum overall, just strange that a forum for discussion of different areas of concern doesn't allow discussion of one of the hottest topics pertaining to the CRV. I solve the issue by not contributing too much there. Interestingly, I've had similar UOA's to the ones here with both Mobil1 0W-20 AFE and EP. After several discussions with my Honda dealership and my Honda Master Certified Technician, they're having no issues, warranty or operational with my changing to Mobil1 0W-30 AFE, so that's what I've done. Observed no difference in operation or fuel economy. Planning on a UOA at 3k to see how it's doing, my hope is for 4-5k OCI's. My Technician indicates that a LOT of Hondas with the 1.5t come in with oil high on the dipstick, so a forum that puts it's head in the sand and pretends or insists the problem doesn't exist, isn't providing a true forum, obviously an agenda there for what reason, I don't know.
Like I said, I really think he's a corporate shill/employee for Honda. That would explain 99.8% of his posts on the forum and the behavior of the forum in general.

First UOA on my 2017 CR-V as I was a little concerned about the reported fuel dilution problems with the 1.5 turbo DI engine.
The UOA showed 3% fuel. I have not noticed a rise in the oil level and none of the previous oil changes smelled like there was a lot of fuel in the oil.
I am sticking to 5,000 mile OCIs which is about 30% on the OLM.View attachment 61851
Bump...due to relevancy to recent contentious discussion.

Can someone please explain to me what the problem is with this UOA ?

I am looking at wear numbers, fuel dilution % and flashpoint (est.)

TY !

Bump...due to relevancy to recent contentious discussion.

Can someone please explain to me what the problem is with this UOA ?

I am looking at wear numbers, fuel dilution % and flashpoint (est.)

TY !
No problem with it. Just diluted oil and reduced viscosity. Run 5w30 and be happy

No problem with it. Just diluted oil and reduced viscosity. Run 5w30 and be happy
Fuel dilution is a third rail topic. Don't ask me how I know.

So a certain percentage of fuel dilution, with a certain flashpoint, is cause for alarm, never mind the wear numbers ?

There is "some" fuel dilution and there is "severe" fuel dilution. Why not have consideration for the other data points ?

Thanks for responding parshisa.

Last edited:

So a certain percentage of fuel dilution, with a certain flashpoint, is cause for alarm, never mind the wear numbers ?

There is "some" fuel dilution and there is "severe" fuel dilution. Why not have consideration for the other data points ?

A $30 spectrographic analysis is a poor indicator of engine wear. Just like flash point is a poor indicator of fuel dilution.

The actual ASTM test for engine wear due to the oil is a far more complicated and expensive endeavor. But it gives statistically valid results.

Last edited:

5yrs and 63K miles with civic and 0/5w30. Several UOA with “normal” wear numbers on “heavy” oil. Car DOES NOT CARE. All the engines cares for is how regularly you’ll be changing it.

93 octane fuel will take care of majority of the fuel, when I used 87 octane I would find fuel in the catch can, oil also smelled horrible of fuel. I could actually smell it in the cabin. I switched back to 93 octane and no more fuel in catch can. I also use Mobil 1 ESP 0w30 ACEA C3 oil. Oil analaysis showed 0.8 fuel over 10,000 miles with the 93 octane. With the 87 octane it was 1.8 fuel dilution.

I’ve been on that forum for 8 years and that dude is power hungry. I actually called him a Nazi in a PM. We got into a huge argument and him and the DarkKnight run that place like Nazi Germany.

So, I note that there seems to be a change over on the CR-V forum.
It appears that William, DarkKnight, and BillS have lost their Mod privilege's.

I can only hope so and maybe the CR-V forums will now be a better place with those "rule by the iron fist" mods gone!

@Speedy3861 @tyman @Cripes

Who are the people that you tagged? The mods at the CR-V forums?
I tagged those in this thread who made a comment about the Mod's over at the CR-V forums. If you scroll back in this thread, you would see who made comments (one way or another) about them. Those are the ones I tagged. Some, now appear to no longer be here (were they banned).
Because there was a discussion about the CR-V mods here, I figured I'd ask here. Asking over there would be pointless and would probably lead to a ban as there is still one ban happy mod over there but 75% of those types, appear to have lost their mod privilege's.

I tagged those in this thread who made a comment about the Mod's over at the CR-V forums. If you scroll back in this thread, you would see who made comments (one way or another) about them. Those are the ones I tagged. Some, now appear to no longer be here (were they banned).
Because there was a discussion about the CR-V mods here, I figured I'd ask here. Asking over there would be pointless and would probably lead to a ban as there is still one ban happy mod over there but 75% of those types, appear to have lost their mod privilege's.
I ultimately just visited the site less and avoided the subject, it was too much like poking a stick into the tigers cage or tilting at windmills. I'm definitely a Honda guy for many years and when those in charge dismiss you and don't allow any discussion by declaring " Honda has resolved the problem, no further conversation allowed" they are woefully misleading the forum members. When my Honda Certified Master Technician tells me about 1.5t's usually coming in with oil high on the stick and the form they give you after service has a check box for oil level with a box for "high" and he reccomends changes at 3000-3500 miles, trust me, Honda knows. One benefit of age is you don't suffer fools willingly. Honda makes good engines and the secret to longevity is awareness, pre-emptive rather than reactive maintenance. Honda, like many other manufacturers are caught in a mostly government mandated set of standards, trying to make a small displacement Turbocharged DI engine, with good mileage (CAFE) low emissions (EPA) good power and drivability (competitive market) meanwhile the idiots in Washington are trying to cram EV'S down our throats that are too expensive to buy, don't meet most peoples needs (range anxiety) no supporting infrastructure (charging stations) without the necessary grid to power them, and the incredible waste of time waiting to charge. Ultimately, the Mods in question are very much a part of the insanity of denial that seems to be prevalent today. JMHO YMMV

@Speedy3861 Your post is spot on in many respects as to what is possibly a root cause of the issues that is pushing to an otherwise very reliable car maker having issues with newer requirements developed by unelected bureaucrats.

The Mod's over at the CR-V Forums site are similar, in that they are just power-hungry in pushing their agenda and shutting down any form of dissent for a larger purpose, similar to those unelected bureaucrats who get into a position of power.

@Speedy3861 Your post is spot on in many respects as to what is possibly a root cause of the issues that is pushing to an otherwise very reliable car maker having issues with newer requirements developed by unelected bureaucrats.

The Mod's over at the CR-V Forums site are similar, in that they are just power-hungry in pushing their agenda and shutting down any form of dissent for a larger purpose, similar to those unelected bureaucrats who get into a position of power.
Thanks for warning us.

I ultimately just visited the site less and avoided the subject, it was too much like poking a stick into the tigers cage or tilting at windmills. I'm definitely a Honda guy for many years and when those in charge dismiss you and don't allow any discussion by declaring " Honda has resolved the problem, no further conversation allowed" they are woefully misleading the forum members. When my Honda Certified Master Technician tells me about 1.5t's usually coming in with oil high on the stick and the form they give you after service has a check box for oil level with a box for "high" and he reccomends changes at 3000-3500 miles, trust me, Honda knows. One benefit of age is you don't suffer fools willingly. Honda makes good engines and the secret to longevity is awareness, pre-emptive rather than reactive maintenance. Honda, like many other manufacturers are caught in a mostly government mandated set of standards, trying to make a small displacement Turbocharged DI engine, with good mileage (CAFE) low emissions (EPA) good power and drivability (competitive market) meanwhile the idiots in Washington are trying to cram EV'S down our throats that are too expensive to buy, don't meet most peoples needs (range anxiety) no supporting infrastructure (charging stations) without the necessary grid to power them, and the incredible waste of time waiting to charge. Ultimately, the Mods in question are very much a part of the insanity of denial that seems to be prevalent today. JMHO YMMV
Oh please. Many, MANY other manufacturers have same technology and don’t have such fuel dilution.
This fuel dilution is actually worse than VW had, 22 years ago!
ALL manufacturers must meet EPA requirements to sell cars. If they can do it, so should Honda.
It is not Washington, it is crappy engineering.

Back