Honda 0W-20 Semi-Syn Break-in, Odyssey 4,633 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
First oil sample taken from a drain and fill on my new 2014 Honda Odyssey with 4,633 miles. This is their "break in" oil, which according to a bulletin from Honda on another forum, advises dealerships to leave this oil in for a full OCI period, which would be around 10K. Seeing the level of contaminants contained in the oil from breaking in the motor, I wish I would have changed it at 1,000-1,500 miles like I normally do on a new engine. I decided to leave it in longer based on the bulletin, and now wish I would have ignored it. Oh well, here is the analysis:

MI on Oil 4,633
MI on Unit 4,633
Sample Date 02/12/14
Make Up Oil Added 4.5 quarts
Oil Type Honda 0W-20 Semi-Synthetic 'Break-in' Oil

ALUMINUM 22
CHROMIUM 3
IRON 57
COPPER 163
LEAD 3
TIN 8
MOLYBDENUM 730
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE NA
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
VANADIUM 0
POTASSIUM 6
BORON 181
SILICON 129
SODIUM 13
CALCIUM 1489
MAGNESIUM 83
PHOSPHORUS 591
ZINC 783
BARIUM 14

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F NA
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 6.09
Flashpoint in °F NA
Fuel % NA
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % Insolubles NA
TBN NA
SOOT 0.007
OXI 16
NIT 7

http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=ddeec80

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GarrettRay

Make up oil amount looks high.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver

Make up oil amount looks high.

I think you might be joking, but if not it's a drain and fill. Engine takes 4.5 quarts.

Lots of Moly, Phosphorus, and Zinc.
Looks very much like a break in oil, yes it is relatively high in contaminates, but this will do a very good job of breaking in the engine with those contaminates.

Originally Posted By: JJ717
FYI, make-up oil is what you add during an oil change interval to replace what leaks out or burns.

GOOD LORD!

I don't believe I'll be posting anymore on this website...didn't know everybody was so freekin' picky!

Wow, how about you just grow up a bit instead? The comments made to you were entirely appropriate and not out of line in any way.

How do I delete my account on this site?

You're the one that said you added 4.5 quarts of make-up oil.

Words mean something.

Originally Posted By: JJ717
FYI, make-up oil is what you add during an oil change interval to replace what leaks out or burns.

GOOD LORD!

I don't believe I'll be posting anymore on this website...didn't know everybody was so freekin' picky!

Why? Honda has a good reason for saying that, what do you know that they don't?

First oil sample taken from a drain and fill on my new 2014 Honda Odyssey with 4,633 miles. This is their "break in" oil, which according to a bulletin from Honda on another forum, advises dealerships to leave this oil in for a full OCI period, which would be around 10K. Seeing the level of contaminants contained in the oil from breaking in the motor, I wish I would have changed it at 1,000-1,500 miles like I normally do on a new engine. I decided to leave it in longer based on the bulletin, and now wish I would have ignored it. Oh well, here is the analysis:

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Why? Honda has a good reason for saying that, what do you know that they don't?

I told you why in the comment... it's located just in front of your sarcastic bolding of my words. You may feel comfortable driving a new vehicle with an engine full of dirty and contaminated oil, but I'm not.

Anyone else want to join in and beat the stuffing out of me and my first UOA post? Feel free to. Seems like it's a common practice on this site.

Last edited:
Beat the stuffing out of you?!? You had one person correct you (and in a very mild way BTW) that your use of "make up oil" was not correct. You like to use the words "bullying" and "beat" and all that, but it's simply not true. I looked through all your previous posts and the responses, and at no time were you ever bullied.

And no, the reason is not in front of my bolded text. You said that Honda, in a specific service bulletin states that the oil should be left in the engine. Just because you are not "comfortable" with it doesn't mean that it is better to change it early. If your engine does not break in properly then you can have high oil consumption down the road. My question remains, what do you know that Honda does not?

High levels of metals in oil can be meaningless in terms of additional wear to the engine. If the metal is dissolved in the oil then it's not as if it is a bunch of metal flakes or shards running around destroying bearings. It's not going to have any affect at all actually.

High levels of metals in an already broken-in engine are a problem because it shows that something is wearing and that is unusual. But in a new engine it is normal of course. And your supposition that it is harmful is simply not correct.

I told you why in the comment... it's located just in front of your sarcastic bolding of my words. You may feel comfortable driving a new vehicle with an engine full of dirty and contaminated oil, but I'm not.

Anyone else want to join in and beat the stuffing out of me and my first UOA post? Feel free to. Seems like it's a common practice on this site.

I guess it is safe to say that Honda's "special break-in oil" is nothing more than a high moly oil with a good dose of Boron and average other additives. Therefore If you want to change out the oil early to get contaminates out early and replace it with a like oil you should be just fine. Honda prolly just doesn't want a consumer changing it out and putting in Bob's Tire bulk oil in to replace it. I changed the factory fill out on my Pilot at 1000K miles and changed it out with Redline and then replaced that 6500 miles early. No problems with the vehicle so far at 25K.

Also, that UOA does not constitute "dirty and contaminated oil". It looks perfectly normal for a new engine, just as Schaeffer stated. There's no water, no coolant, no soot - and those levels of wear metals are not that high actually.

You do know that pieces of metal - those that would scar bearings - won't show up in atomic absorption, right?

Beat the stuffing out of you?!? You had one person correct you (and in a very mild way BTW) that your use of "make up oil" was not correct. You like to use the words "bullying" and "beat" and all that, but it's simply not true. I looked through all your previous posts and the responses, and at no time were you ever bullied.

And no, the reason is not in front of my bolded text. You said that Honda, in a specific service bulletin states that the oil should be left in the engine. Just because you are not "comfortable" with it doesn't mean that it is better to change it early. If your engine does not break in properly then you can have high oil consumption down the road. My question remains, what do you know that Honda does not?

High levels of metals in oil can be meaningless in terms of additional wear to the engine. If the metal is dissolved in the oil then it's not as if it is a bunch of metal flakes or shards running around destroying bearings. It's not going to have any affect at all actually.

High levels of metals in an already broken-in engine are a problem because it shows that something is wearing and that is unusual. But in a new engine it is normal of course. And your supposition that it is harmful is simply not correct.

You accuse me of making claims without proof, (which I did not. I only said I wish I would have changed it earlier) yet you just did the same thing. Where is YOUR proof that high amounts of metal in a new engine doesn't do damage? You cannot take someone to task over their opinion with another opinion. Are you a politician?

Schaeffer's put the 4.5 quarts in the make-up oil box since I wrote down that I drained and refilled with 4.5 quarts. I simply transcribed the information and was immediately pummeled for it. The question I have is: WHAT DOES IT MATTER?! Everyone understands what it means, but I have no doubt that you and a whole host of others on this site are constantly trolling for any reason at all to bash someone over the head.

And thank you for validating my point!

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
I guess it is safe to say that Honda's "special break-in oil" is nothing more than a high moly oil with a good dose of Boron and average other additives. Therefore If you want to change out the oil early to get contaminates out early and replace it with a like oil you should be just fine. Honda prolly just doesn't want a consumer changing it out and putting in Bob's Tire bulk oil in to replace it. I changed the factory fill out on my Pilot at 1000K miles and changed it out with Redline and then replaced that 6500 miles early. No problems with the vehicle so far at 25K.

Careful Blazer! We've got some people trolling this thread that will bulldoze the peepee out of you for making an opinionated comment like that. You need to be 100% accurate and provide definitive proof for everything you say here. Would you like to retract your unproven comment?
crazy.gif

Why I find myself wasting my time with you kschachn, I'll never know. But since you didn't click the link below the posted UOA that shows a copy of my report, I'll go ahead and help you:

On the report it sates.... "ATTENTION CODE: CRITICAL"

And.... "CHANGE OIL AND FILTERS..."

But I know... I'm a 'tard and shouldn't make ANY decisions without asking the professionals like you first, right?

Last edited:
Wow.

For an already broken-in engine yes. Per that analysis, your only element that is in "critical" level is silicon. Which engine component is wearing to produce that level? Looks like copper is at "severe". Do you know where copper is coming from?

So the elevated levels of silicon and copper - those contribute to further engine wear if the oil is left unchanged? Just asking.

Why I find myself wasting my time with you kschachn, I'll never know. But since you didn't click the link below the posted UOA that shows a copy of my report, I'll go ahead and help you:

On the report it sates.... "ATTENTION CODE: CRITICAL"

And.... "CHANGE OIL AND FILTERS..."

But I know... I'm a 'tard and shouldn't make ANY decisions without asking the professionals like you first, right?

You accuse me of making claims without proof, (which I did not. I only said I wish I would have changed it earlier) yet you just did the same thing. Where is YOUR proof that high amounts of metal in a new engine doesn't do damage? You cannot take someone to task over their opinion with another opinion. Are you a politician?

Schaeffer's put the 4.5 quarts in the make-up oil box since I wrote down that I drained and refilled with 4.5 quarts. I simply transcribed the information and was immediately pummeled for it. The question I have is: WHAT DOES IT MATTER?! Everyone understands what it means, but I have no doubt that you and a whole host of others on this site are constantly trolling for any reason at all to bash someone over the head.

And thank you for validating my point!

Someone's a HOT HEAD!!!
crazy.gif

well, your OCD about changing your oil, you'll fit right in my friend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back