Honda 0W 20 opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys , I did a search with no results , but does anyone have an opinion or info for me concerning the quality , maker , etc of the Honda motor oil ? we just bought a Honda 2014 Accord and of course it wants the 0w 20 oil , and I have no experience with Hondas or oil this thin , opinions please....thanks

HGMO is made by Conoco Phillips. Cousin to the Motorcraft, TropArctic and Phillips oils.

Good oil, but I have never saw a super good sale on it. If price is no object, sure run it without any reservations.

If you're a bit dollar oriented (who isn't?) then I'd recommend either Mobil 1 or Penzoil Platinum 0W-20. Both good oils and usually can get a 5qt. jug from Wally*Mart for $25 or less.

Both will make your K24 Accord happier than a pig in crud.

I believe that CP (Conoco-Phillips) is the maker of Honda branded oils. This means it's an excellent product but it doesn't have the high moly, high VI of TGMO (Toyota branded) 0w20 or Mazda 0w20. How much this matters is a matter of opinion but I would have no problem running Honda's 0w20 if it's fairly priced.

OTOH, you would be hard pressed to find a better deal or a better oil than Mobil 1 AFE, PP, QSUD, VSP etc... in the 5 qt. jugs at WM. Any of these oils changed at decent intervals will make your Honda last longer than you might care to keep it.

I'd use it without hesitation, silverado1. If you can get it at a good price, go for it.

Otherwise, redhat's suggestions are good too. Most 0w20s are good oils to begin with, and your Accord won't be too picky about the oil you put in it.

yes I have noticed they are quite proud of it at over 8 bucks a quart , im sure it can be found cheaper , but have no problems running mobil 1 or penn , or maybe even Toyota 0w 20...

SuperTech 0W-20 can't be far away - I'm sure it will be fine too. As much as I like Conoco products, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy the Honda stuff. Anything at Walmart will work.

Originally Posted By: silverado1
yes I have noticed they are quite proud of it at over 8 bucks a quart , im sure it can be found cheaper , but have no problems running mobil 1 or penn , or maybe even Toyota 0w 20...

If you buy it by the case, ask the parts guy if he can cut you a volume discount.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
SuperTech 0W-20 can't be far away - I'm sure it will be fine too. As much as I like Conoco products, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy the Honda stuff. Anything at Walmart will work.

That'd be nice! I wouldn't hesitate to by SuperTech 0w-20!

Where do you live? I'm in Ca & have 5 cases of the Toyota 0w20 I am trying to sell. Shipping is too high in order for me to break even. I might be able to work a deal with you.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: bigt61

That'd be nice! I wouldn't hesitate to by SuperTech 0w-20!

NAPA regularly runs a sale on it's synthetic oils (which includes 0w20) for $3.49 a quart. It's made by Ashland and may even be the same a Valvoline Synpower. I'm sure your Honda would do well on it...

with the fuel dilution problems associated with D I engines and the carbon build up etc. is there any particular oil u guys think may be better suited for a DI engine ?

It's made by Conoco. Same as Kendall.
My shop pays $2.25 a quart for syn blend and $3.15 a quart for full syn.
Of course we sell it for $5 for blend or $6.50 for full syn

with the fuel dilution problems associated with D I engines and the carbon build up etc. is there any particular oil u guys think may be better suited for a DI engine ?

dilution:
Conservative OCI (if you believe the mfrs have not taken dilution into consideration)

deposits:
Lowest possible Noack - at least a dexos mandated 13% but there are many with better.
Lowest possible TEOST (google - Amsoil 5w30 test)
Low SAPS oils

Last edited:
My Personal Opinion - what else would it be??:

I've tried 5 different 0w20 over the past couple years on our Honda and Forester.

#1 VSP 0w20
#2 TIE PP QSUD

#1 for outstanding cleanliness, #2 for Less engine racket.

Nothing else comes close, Including: M1, Idemitsu Subaru, Kendall w/Ti.

Honorable mention: 0w20 Edge w/Ti is a good chice for highly stressed apps, but appears on the thick side running in the engine for small displacement ( I did not try this lube in the Subaru, as its priced exorbitantly high around me.

Originally Posted By: wemay

dilution:
Conservative OCI (if you believe the mfrs have not taken dilution into consideration)

deposits:
Lowest possible Noack - at least a dexos mandated 13% but there are many with better.
Lowest possible TEOST (google - Amsoil 5w30 test)
Low SAPS oils

No solid evidence that any of these stop the deposits though. Some folks go with a good ol conventional and Techron every 5k miles and develop no deposits. Luck of the draw
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I've tried 5 different 0w20 over the past couple years on our Honda and Forester.

#1 VSP 0w20
#2 TIE PP QSUD

Honorable mention: 0w20 Edge w/Ti is a good chice for highly stressed apps, but appears on the thick side running in the engine for small displacement ( I did not try this lube in the Subaru, as its priced exorbitantly high around me.

ARCO is right, lots of good comments from people using VSP and even VWB in their D.I. applications for whatever reason.

I have ran NAPA Premium Conv. (Ashland made) and VNG 5W-20 in my K24 and both were happy.

I wouldn't hesitate to use VSP 0W-20 either. Good oils.

We truly have a great selection of engine oil to choose from these days.

I've tried VSP 5w20 in a Honda R18 and it was loud. Pennzoil Plat 5w20 was also loud but slightly better. Idemitsu 0w20 SN is quiet, maybe because of the boron content.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

#1 VSP 0w20
#2 TIE PP QSUD

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Where do you live? I'm in Ca & have 5 cases of the Toyota 0w20 I am trying to sell. Shipping is too high in order for me to break even. I might be able to work a deal with you.

How much do you want for it?

For the right price I'll consider a trip out to the Central Valley. Send me a PM.

I have the Honda Genuine Synthetic Blend 0w20 in my 06 Accord 2.4 now, it runs well and fairly quiet. Its hard to find at a good price though, don't spend extra on it over M1, PP etc. I bought 5 quarts on Amazon for around $12 out the door due to various discounts and rewards points. That's the only reason I got it though. Good oil, no doubt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back