Homeowners insurance advice

Remember the insurance company needs to be licensed by the state to sell insurance in that state. So there will not be fly-by-night insurance companies as the state will not license them. So I would be OK with an insurance company you never heard of. It may be backed by a large company you are familiar with.

At least for home owners, shop around every year or two. And tell your broker you are doing so.

Not all states have access to all insurance providers. In Wyoming that limits my choices considerably. A lower initial rate followed by a couple years of fairly stiff increases gets you back where you started originally. Time to shop and switch for the next 1-3 years.

I feel for those who live in coastal areas and I think your insurance choices in today's climate will be limited.

I'm with Allstate and currently at just under $1200/year "with $750 worth of applied discounts" Yeah right.

This is for a 2800sq/ft 2 story home w/ basement. The rate goes up $50 or so per year. Same with the car coverage. I've never filed a claim with either car/home. I pay about $2400/year for the 3 vehicles in my sig.

I've heard more bad things about State Farm than good . A buddy of mine had hail damage recently and they refused to pay a dime .. He told them to take a hike .

There’s no loyalty from the insurance company to you so don’t feel bad switching. Florida is a terrible market for property insurers and as the link by The Critic said, they are headed toward collapse or major state intervention. If I was an insurance company there’s no way I’d do business in Florida. Shop around, make sure the coverage is adequate and understand that in the event of a major storm or it’ll most likely be an independent adjuster inspecting your property anyways.

Hey, I live in Colorado on the front range. We have a consumer expert who recommends a company which is a broker and represents about 25 companies. Compass insurance has been great. The consumer expert states there is not loyalty nor reward for longevity with an insurance company, they just keep creeping up your rates. Compass will do an insurance check up, report back, tell you have a great deal or make recommendations for a new company with rates. I have two cars, a home, and was switched to Safeco from A.F. I am saving nearly $2500.00 per year with equal or better coverage. The key is that they represent multiple companies, not a captive agent beholden to one company. On homeowner's for $30 a year now have sewer line coverage. Very satisfied, have heard insurance check ups on the radio consumer show and they usually save substantially.

Scott
I've had State Farm for over 40 years. Home and car and now renters. USAA was not interested in selling me a renters policy.

I've heard more bad things about State Farm than good . A buddy of mine had hail damage recently and they refused to pay a dime .. He told them to take a hike .
They are big, anyone with a lot of customers will get lots of complains, so it is the percentage that matters not the numbers.

Once again, don't shop for insurance yourself. Work with a licensed insurance broker.

I call my broker once a year, we chat for 15 minutes and he runs over what he found for me. Past few years nobody can touch Progressive for home and auto, and the rate he gets me is much cheaper than going online and asking FLO.

Also, I don't understand loyalty to an insurance company.

What I’ve learned is that loyalty to an insurance company means nothing. They’re giant super billion dollar generators, they are not a mom & pop outfit. You owe them no loyalty at all. Shop shop shop.

I too have an insurance broker, and Progressive is the best priced for my cars.

They are too many variables to say which insurance company is best in your area town and county, throw in your credit score as well.
Every year you should get out of the forums and let your fingers do the typing on your keyboard and get a minimum of three quotes.
Low price always wins for me and I get quite robust insurance policies. I must’ve switched homeowners insurance companies five or six times over 15 year.s.
Don’t believe the multi car home discounts, it’s all BS based on a full retail price.
We have our homeowners insurance, our car insurance, our boat insurance, motorcycle insurance all through different companies because low price always wins.

OK back to homeowners insurance, I think this is the longest I have ever been with one company because nobody has been coming close on price, I must’ve had them three years or more now. The company is Travelers Insurance.

Insurance companies have an algorithm, the longer you’re with them, the more they know you won’t switch.
But I have to say now I’ve switched all vehicles and house so many times for some reason all of the policies have been stable at a low price, I don’t know if they know that and if that’s the reason or not.

In addition to Travelers for the home I have Esurance for the cars, Progressive for the motorcycle and I’m unsure about the boat but that might be as Progressive as well. One of those two might be Geico

These companies have no loyalty to you. I typically shop around at renewal time and weigh out my options. I just switched from Travelers to Safco for my vehicles and home. I saved a few hundred a year...

Back