Homemade Texas Hot Link Sausage

dNSi9jyh.jpg

Not being able to find any reasonable alternative to Texas-style hot link sausage locally, I made my own this weekend.

Turned out really well: Taste is great, the grind is spot-on, and the casings are snappy. My link consistency leave a little to be desired but this was my first time making sausage and stuffing has a learning curve. A few of the first links are a little weird.

What is the difference between those and braughtwurst?

Bratwurst is a pork sausage (at least in America it is) and can have many more spices: marjoram, coriander, caraway seeds, cardamom, mace, nutmeg, and so on.

Hot links are a beef sausage and contain very few spice ingredients: salt, pepper, and paprika. They're also typically smoked at some point in their preparation.

It goes back to early German and Czech immigrants in central Texas, operating grocery stores and butcher shops. Smoking meats and making sausage was a way to extend the value of meats that would otherwise be lost to spoilage (before modern refrigeration). Being Texas, beef was the most common protein, so that's what went into the sausage.

dNSi9jyh.jpg

Not being able to find any reasonable alternative to Texas-style hot link sausage locally, I made my own this weekend.

Turned out really well: Taste is great, the grind is spot-on, and the casings are snappy. My link consistency leave a little to be desired but this was my first time making sausage and stuffing has a learning curve. A few of the first links are a little weird.
Those look great. Where are my mustard and horseradish?

Back