Homebrew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run a 5w-30 in my Jeep 4.0. I just passed 215,000 miles and it doesn't use a drop of oil. 4000 mi oil changes. These motors also like 40W.
Recently I sold 3 of my 4 motorcycles and have a remaining stash of Castrol 4t 20w-50 motorcycle oil (43 quarts).
I am moving and would like to whittle this down some. What do you think of mixing 3 qts of 5-20 conventional with 3 quarts of the 20-50 mc oil?

And this is why you don't hoard oil....

j/k, personally I'm all for mixing oils as you please. Some will talk about add packs, blah, blah. I've done it for years with all the half-full bottles that start accumulating.

That's 14 oil changes worth of mixing... maybe better off selling it locally.

You could easily use the 20W-50 in your Jeep from May to September IMHO. I wouldn't bother mixing two totally different oils...

Other than that, you could try selling on CraigsList...

I thought this was about alcohol production at home. The Alaska State troopers show always had someone trying to make "Homebrew".

Your best return on investment would be to just use the oil straight up but take into consideration cold weather and thin it out if that becomes a problem. I would try to pick a same brand, similar spec oil for the mix. You could even consider shorter change intervals.

This is very good oil but someone else would certainly not pay a worth while price.

I run it in the BMW when I get it on sale. Nick D is correct. You can run 20w50 down to 10' F, BTW You thin oil guys are funny
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I'd be mostly concerned about motorcycle oil not being ok for petrol engines? Otherwise mix away! Only issue if you'll have to buy roughly the same amount of 20 grade. Maybe find the thinnest 20 and mix 3 to 2 in favor of the 50. Or whatever gets you to a thin 40 grade.

Lol the jeep gc limited runs fine on amsoil 10w-30 mc synthetic. So does the sbc 356 in my beater s-10 albeit it is mixed with some valvoline 20w-50 synthetic. You no mix nannies are funny. The engine doesnt know what oil is in it... ilsac 3.5 and api Idnbu... lol

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I thought this was about alcohol production at home. The Alaska State troopers show always had someone trying to make "Homebrew".

Its popular in the native villages where alcohol is illegal.

Id rather drink that than 20w50

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: bbhero

Its popular in the native villages where alcohol is illegal.

I did as well. Funny my cousin is a police detective and makes his own brew, mostly ipa type beers. They recently finished off their basement so it's like a mini brewery. The ceiling was painted a flat black and the floor is stained concrete so it looks like marble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back