Homebrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 4 gallons of Delvac 1300 15w40 and 13 quarts of Quaker State Synthetic 5w20.

I was thinking about combining them 50/50 and using in my 2009 V6 Frontier Pickup which calls for 5w30 year round.

My theory is they would mix to a 10w30. I am pretty sure it would be OK but wanted some opinions on mixing a non synthetic HDEO and a synthetic non HDEO oil and putting it a $31,000 truck that is still under warranty. Thoughts?

The Delvac might be a bit rich in that crankcase. I would sleep better at night if I followed the recommended spec under warranty.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
I would just buy some good 5W-30 for your Frontier and use the QS 5W-20 in your Element.
\

Yea thats probably what I will do. I just have so much 5w20.....in addition to the QS, I have PP and some Edge probably enough oil for the next 20 years for the Element. I ad so much because both my inlaws cars used 5w20 and they no longer have thos cars so I no longer need that much 5w20.

I guess in the end, I could have enough Delvac for my yearly 20oz. oil changes for my lawn mower.

While under warranty, use what's spec'ed, IMHO.

With 4 motorcycles and 3 ATV's you also probably have a home for the Delvac.

Cheers!

What would anyone find if there was some issue and the dealer did a UOA? They would find a 30 weight. One quart of either in five (as well as 50:50) should produce a 30 weight.

Never heard of a dealer doing a UOA before...

I guess one could do a quick drain and refill before bringing the vehicle in, eh?

Cheers!

If you had a lube related failure they might do a UOA. Many won't even know what it is. Most reasonable dealers merely look to see if the oil is changed regularly.

If the question ever comes up (as unlikely as it would be), "Did you do anything different?", I highly recommend that you hold that in the same regard as you would, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be manipulated and morphed into making this (otherwise) warranty claim your fault."

Yea, lol that would be my thought
wink.gif
But yea, I too never heard of a dealer doing a UOA, but you never know, as oil analysis "catches on" it may/could happen.....then again, there is the other side of the spectrum, a used oil analysis can't tell you "everything" about the oil in a vehicle......but can give you a good opinion of it anyways.

But yea, you could try returning them to WM for store credit, if it's oil that your WM stocks, AND as long as the neckbands or foil seals (if applicable, they will check) have not been broken or punctured. Just tell them you bought the wrong oil, or too much oil, etc and see what they'll do.

Here's the kicker though, since you don't have a receipt, at WM you're only allowed 3 no-receipt returns per year or something like that....so you want to return as much of it as possible, at the same time :p But, not too much, that they would be going "hmm, that's really a lot of oil to be buying on accident".

No idea if the 3 returns per year is company wide, or just per store....I know they'll ask for your ID so it's tied to your ID, wouldn't doubt that it's company-wide.

Also, I had a thought, where is this truck calling for 5W-30 "year round"? per the oil filler cap? or the manual?

I know in two of my previous vehicles, my 07 Kia Rio had 5W-20 stamped on the oil filler cap, BUT the manual had noted that if the ambient temperature was between -20 and 120 degrees, 5W-20, OR 5W-30 were compatible, OR between 0 and 120+ - 10W-30 was acceptable.

So I could "safely" use 5-20 5-30 and 10-30 in the vehicle without fear of voiding any warranties.

Though my Optima manual had a wider selection of weights available, the 5-20,5-30, 10-30 and 15-40 even....but couldn't see using that heavy of an oil.....even if the manual stated it's "OK" lol...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
I have 4 gallons of Delvac 1300 15w40.....

Don't need the Delvac anymore? Take it to Walmart and ask to exchange it for another oil weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back