homebrew oil! (what addtives R used in real stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there are probably proprietary secret blends and such but i'm also assuming alot of information must be public, about what the minimum suggested additives and amounts must be in a given oil blend for a given level of performance. Heck i'm even curious about the history of oil since i'm sure there was no additives originally and at some point they researched and discovered adding something improved something else...

I read articles on vegetable based oils for lubrication, which got me thinking whether it would be possible to "brew your own" by buying some bulk source of the same stuff used in your Havoline and adding it to your bottle of thousand island dressing. :^)

I'm saying that with a smirk because it's a little toungue in cheek... i'm not actually planning on doing literally that but I AM curious about the chemistry of what is added, and why/what it does, and how they decided a certain amount was good, vs what happens if you have too much. I was curious whether independant sources were available for those chemicals, or at least the most important things, in part because i'm wondering if they could be added to "old but clean" existing oil. All the guys who run 25,000 miles or something on their super-bypass-filtered oil I would assume would be running out of the detergents and other such in the oil, which made me wonder if you could simply blend some back in...

I've no idea whether this is something where were being ripped off by the oil companies, or where it's more expensive to DIY than just replace the oil because competition has made the costs marginal.

I'm even curious whether there would be any way to home reprocess oil to make it more suited to longer oil change intervals. As a random example if I had some ring blowby, and some fuel was getting into the oil, is there any possible way to ever get that back out of there (filtering, centrifuging, settling) or is the oil chemistry ruined forever. This is less a fully serious question (in terms of people telling me to not waste my time since I doubt I will) and more an honest curiosity about lubrication oil chemistry and how things change in use.

You're going to save a lot of money setting up your own petro lab. Yep. Uh huh.

If the zombie apocalypse were to happen, and oil supplies were halted, we'd have to figure out exactly what you're asking.

From an economic viewpoint, there is a certain price point of oil beyond which people would experiment and come up with ways to purify used oil so it could be used again.

The base oil oxidizes causing the oil to become thicker and less useful. The additives are depleted as contamination is being held in suspension in the oil. Antiwear additives are depleted as the sacrificial layer of ZDDP is used up. Submicron wear particles build up in the oil causing more rapid wear as they build up and become abrasive.

There's not really much you can do to the motor oil once it oxidizes, you could add more anti wear additives and detergents but it would be best to change the oil, since oxidation is usually a factor.

Bypass systems help control contamination which slows down oxidation and frees up the additives to hold even smaller particles of contamination.

The additives in the motor oil have to be balanced, all the chemicals fight for space on the metal, the detergents compete with the anti wear additives, so a too large dose of one or the other may help one aspect of the oil but hurt another metric, such as you get better TBN retention with more detergents and dispersants but may hurt the anti wear layers.

This is why we have actual tests in laboratories to find out if one Formula works better than another before they see real world testing.

There are recycled motor oils. Valvoline NextGen? I'm not sure if its still being produced or not, but I'm sure there are others. They refine the used oil.... or is that re-refine? Anyway, they refine the oil into a base stock, then incorporate their additive package, which is what you described, but it is probably beyond the capabilities of a guy in his garage. Unless maybe you have an infinite amount of time and money to invest in it.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
You're going to save a lot of money setting up your own petro lab. Yep. Uh huh.

Lol. Comment of the day award goes to... You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back