Homebrew beer

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

I just put 5 gallons of Brown Ale in the pressure barrel. Now I just have to wait a few weeks for it pressurize and clear.

Now I'm thinking of doing up an IPA for my other barrel.

Anyone else make beer?
smile.gif

I have won awards at county fairs for my homebrews. Alas, this was BC (before children).

Brewing equipment has sat unused for many years. I threw all the plastic bits out and have only the ss kegs, ss boilers, lautering tun, glass fermenters, Colonna capper, etc.....I do miss the taste, bad.

Yeah, I’m a long time brewer (16 years) and I’m a BJCP National Beer Judge. Nothing compares to good homebrew when you know what you are doing. BTW, why not just carbonate it with CO2? If you are using 5-gal soda kegs then you will be able to carbonate overnight at 30 psi.

I used to brew, before the wife and kids. No time for it anymore. I wish I still had time for it as I miss it. I was a all-grain brewer; I ground and mashed my own grains, although I used hop pellet instead of whole hops. From start (ginding the grains) to finish (closing up the fermenter) it usually took most of a Saturday. Now I don't have that much time free at once; we are always on the go doing something.

One of these days, I'll have to dig the bucket of whole-grain malt out of the closet and see if I can do anything with it.

I started brewing when I was stationed over in the UK and the thing to do there was to put it in a barrel after the secondary fermentation, add some priming sugar and let her rip. It's just the way my equipment is set up. I took a break from brewing for a few years and now it is fun again. I need to dig around and find my flip top bottles and do up an other batch or two.

I used to brew. FIrst with malt extract, then I started buying grains and every gadget to go along with the hobby. Finally, the novelty wore off and it became an arduous task of sterilizing those bottles, transferring from primary to secondary fermenter, boiling the bottlecaps, sanitizing them bottles, cleaning everything after brewing. Thermometers, hydrometers, 15 gallon custom made brewpot, a super cool mashing and sparging system.. I had it all, but it became old after about a year or two. I sold my equipment and never had a desire to brew again.

I've got a coffee-infused imperial stout in bottles right now. Should be ready for a taste in 2 weeks.

I brew probably 3x/year. Doesn't take too much time or equipment, keeps some in the house at all times but leaves plenty of room for drinking regular beer too.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back