Home Owners - Hairline Settlement Cracks?

As the title states, should I be concerned about these small hairline settlement cracks?

Should I use some concrete or a caulk on them to cover it so that water doesn't get into it? Thank you for the help.

Can you see the crack from inside or is it finished. Above the ground line I wouldn't worry about water getting in but more than likely the cracks go below which is where you want to keep an eye on it. Our foundation is block and the south wall is bowing in enough that there is a 1/8 crack showing two feet below the ground all along the bed joint and we never get any water through that, where we get water is along the floor where the concrete meets the block wall there is a hair line crack but it has to rain pretty hard for days.

Vertical cracks are fine, it's horizontal cracks you have to worry about. Those pictures look fine, you really want to see it from the side to make sure it's not bowing in or out, usually in from frost heaves from the ground or from heavy trucks in the driveway. Looks straight.

As for what to use, can't remember what's recommended, looks too fine for hydraulic cement. If it were just cement, some would say grind it out and pack it in. I'm sure a structural engineer would know what to use. Some lumber yards have them on staff and give free recommendations. That kind of a crack is overkill to consult a structural engineer though, see those all the time. Time to google it...

you can get 'concrete repair' caulk in a tube at home store. it is more like an epoxy as it gets pretty hard. designed to seal out moisture. note the crack gets wider the higher it goes, so settling downward more on one side than the other. might indicate a drainage problem that can be remedied before if progresses the damage?

Caulk them, at this point it's just cosmetic. While the caulk is still wet go over it with a damp sponge (so it's not as noticable) . You want to caulk cracks so that in the winter water doesn't get in & if it freezes , cause real trouble.

Back