Home made Fumoto valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
JOiGbka.jpg

I bought a fumoto for my jeep when I got it on ebay cheap from a guy who sold his car and never installed it. I liked it, im one of them I dont need it but I wamt it guys, for anything. I used it three times and now I have my oil extractor so I may sell the fumoto now

On topic, I like the homemade one. Very big turm handle

Don't use a ball valve, a piece of road debris hits the handle, and it will start leaking!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rickmeseke
I bought a fumoto for my jeep when I got it on ebay cheap from a guy who sold his car and never installed it. I liked it, im one of them I dont need it but I want it guys, for anything. I used it three times and now I have my oil extractor so I may sell the fumoto now

On topic, I like the homemade one. Very big turn handle

Fluid extractor works great for older BMW vehicle such as your 00 BMW 323i, but it may not extract all oil in your Jeep.

The fluid extractor works great for my E430 but not so good for S2000, Volvo V70. For the S2000 and V70 it couldn't get the last 6-10 ounces. I didn't do oil change for Accord yet, so I don't know.

I doubt the seals on a water tap are rated for petroleum products. I see leakage in the owner's future.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
I doubt the seals on a water tap are rated for petroleum products. I see leakage in the owner's future.

A lot of them are stamped WOG, i.e. water oil gas, so his should be fine if it's so marked.

Also consider buying your "ball" valve replacement somewhere besides a big box store that sells less than the best quality stuff.

I've thought about getting a Fumoto, only problem being that people seem to report that it takes much longer for the oil to drain.

I had a heater control valve like that on my '68 Scout when I was a young lad. It's handy to be able to get replacement parts at the local hardware store.

+1 on take the handle off until oil change time.

Globe valves are NOT for that application.

When the body and plug/stem heat/cool differently, they can either tighten (body shrinks more than stem), and crack, or the stem shrinks more than the body and it leaks.

Handwheel is least of the problems.

Big thing like that in the breeze is asking for a debris hit, or even faticue from the cantilever effect.

I was keen on Fumoto until I learned how many people were making failsafes to stop them opening...plug is fine for me.

I have a fumoto- if the oil is hot or warm- it comes out plenty fast. In terms of accidentally hitting something- I ran over a dear had hair everywhere and valve did not move. In my car- if I hit something that would cause the valve to break- I would have had to shear the entire oil pan. If that happens, I got bigger issues.

Originally Posted By: Chewie
I've thought about getting a Fumoto, only problem being that people seem to report that it takes much longer for the oil to drain.

In very specific applications like our fleet trucks the Fumoto valve does not allow the faster, flushing drain you get with the stock drain plug. This was an issue here and was verified by oil pan removal. A very thin layer of sludge was formed on the bottom of the pan.

I still have them on cat pumps and blowers and two cars. A terrific design, never comes open accidentally. But not the best for everyone...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Chewie

In very specific applications like our fleet trucks the Fumoto valve does not allow the faster, flushing drain you get with the stock drain plug. This was an issue here and was verified by oil pan removal. A very thin layer of sludge was formed on the bottom of the pan.
This is a good point. The best way to drain out old fluid is to remove the drain plug.
I still have them on cat pumps and blowers and two cars. A terrific design, never comes open accidentally. But not the best for everyone...

Good points. The best way to drain old fluid is to remove the drain plug.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back