Home Improvement Stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Did some updates to the house. I couldn't scrape the ceiling but will have someone do it. It has asbestos in it.

Took down some walls to open the room. Installed can/pot lights, there were none before, removed non functioning Cadet heaters, new trim, paint and floors. Did it around Christmas.

All the lighting is new.

The new floor is the lighter stuff, you can see where the old gas fireplace and chimney were.
[Linked Image]

Made this half wall
[Linked Image]

Hallway before new floor.
[Linked Image]

Hallway after
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have two bedrooms left to do. In all I will have installed 20 can/pot lights and laid about 1400 square feet off floor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JC1
Looks good. If there is asbestos in the ceiling, didn't you have issues when you drilled the holes for the pot lights?

I thought about that...I used a vacuum and dust collector plus some mask as recommended by the place coming to scrape it. It worked well, but I couldn't do the entire ceiling like that. I talked to the place who is going to scrape it and they said a small amount is fine when doing the lights as the level is low and its large particles. My last house was 7 percent with small particles someone who knows how to do it was necessary for that place.

I had it tested it was under 2 percent which isn't huge, but I didn't want to scrape the entire ceiling and risk it.

Most asbestos ceilings are 1 to 10 percent. Someone before had this one encapsulated. I still want it gone.

For me years and years on Navy ships...I could probably eat this stuff....LOL

Lol. Funny Mike.

What price are they quoting to scrape it? I'm guessing everything needs encapsulation and then run those negative air machines etc. Do they do do an air test afterwards to tell you all is good?

Originally Posted by JC1
Lol. Funny Mike.

What price are they quoting to scrape it? I'm guessing everything needs encapsulation and then run those negative air machines etc. Do they do do an air test afterwards to tell you all is good?

So everything even with paint is about 4000 bucks, my house is 1900 square feet.
The do all the clean up.
They say a day or two a the most. Air test is included. I made the down payment so that is why they helped advise with the pot lights.
I am waiting until summer to have it done.

See you call them pot lights too!!! Must be an Upstate New York/Canada thing. As out here in Washington they call them can lights.

If you tell people you installed pot lights in Washington they thing you are growing something. LOL

Yeah we call them pot lights and we call soda, "pop". lol

If someone went to Home Depot or Lowes and asked for Can lights, you'd get a lot of weird looks.

Looks good! Its always hard to tell how a type/style of flooring will look...im redoing my basement right now...so many products to choose from as well. Where'd you buy the flooring from? Im leaning towards flooring they sell at Costco up here, seems good...but 2$/sq ft

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Looks good! Its always hard to tell how a type/style of flooring will look...im redoing my basement right now...so many products to choose from as well. Where'd you buy the flooring from? Im leaning towards flooring they sell at Costco up here, seems good...but 2$/sq ft

Rolla,

That laminate at Costco is good stuff. Made in Germany, has the underpad attached and is 15 mm thick. I'm thinking of getting some for the bedroom we call the office.

Originally Posted by Rolla07

We got it from a local discount place. I purchased 1400 square feet. It was normally 2 dollars a square foot. Since I purchased so much I got it at 1.69 a square foot really nice 10mm stuff.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Needs new trim, that baseboard....yikes!
shocked2.gif

It has all new trim, some of the photos is the old stuff, some of it has no trim at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back