Home Depot vs. Lowes Stainless Steel hardware

Is the any difference in the stainless steel hardware sold by Home Depot vs. Lowes, such as grade type?

They probably carry the same grades. Grade 2 maybe 5 (SAE) and 5.8 or 8.8 for metric. You have to go and see for yourself.

The ONLY hardware worse than HD or Lowe's is the pure junk hardware that comes with Chinese products for hanging and stuff. I'm convinced some of it is random pot metal. But yeah I have snapped hardware store lag bolts in a clean hole before even seating. Uggg.

I've started only buying hardware at a local mom and pop store. It's more expensive, but much better quality. The last time I was at HD I had to keep threading several nuts onto the same bolts until I found some good ones because the threads in all the nuts of a certain size were messed up. I told the guy at the counter and he just said "yeah we see that a lot more now". :rolleyes:

Is the any difference in the stainless steel hardware sold by Home Depot vs. Lowes, such as grade type?
There's really no way to know unless they tell you. Besides the 300-series there is the 400-series which is generally a cheaper alloy. Some don't even have nickel in the composition. If you need a specific grade for a certain application then you've going to have to buy it from somewhere that states the grade, not Home Depot or Lowe's. McMaster-Carr comes to mind as one option.

I've started only buying hardware at a local mom and pop store. It's more expensive, but much better quality. The last time I was at HD I had to keep threading several nuts onto the same bolts until I found some good ones because the threads in all the nuts of a certain size were messed up. I told the guy at the counter and he just said "yeah we see that a lot more now". :rolleyes:
The local hardware store always has better quality hardware than Home Depot or Lowes. After you've had a few of the big box store bolts snap off, you'll find a good hardware store.

All made in China - Lowe’s and Home Depot source from Crown Bolt, Ace is Hillman for the most part.

If you’re OCD, Holo-Krome(Fastenal), Vibo, Kamax or any US/European bolt is the way to go.

Back