Home Depot selling power tools that won't work unless they're activated at a register

Interesting how they're trying to deter theft using Bluetooth to enable the tools at checkout. Kind of reminds me of gift cards that have no value unless they're activated. This could probably work with things like expensive electronics. And of course who would steal a car these days when they're connected to the internet services like OnStar. I've heard of OnStar slowing down a car after it was reported stolen.

They is some concern that shoplifters will still steal this stuff and try to sell it to unsuspecting people. That, and stealing stuff from customers after purchases are completed.

If you know how to access a device via the JTAG/GPIO pins and are good with programming, theres a way around it.

I doubt it would be that easy. Maybe not like Apple bricking its demo devices, but at least harder than just plugging in a JTAG interface and trying to guess exactly how it works. I'd think it would be more like a carrier locked phone where a serial number is matched to an unlock code. Only the retailer's equipment should be able to access the database to find the unlock code.

Just makes me want to avoid any brand that has this tech. Extra expense built in, because they don't have the balls to stop shoplifters.

Also, an additional early failure point, maybe spend the money on higher quality instead? OR even better, petition your state rep to get some action going on improving merchant abilities to decrease shoplifting, but at the same time maintain consumer protection against vigilante security guards. It doesn't seem that hard to accomplish, if you didn't go through a register line then you didn't pay for it. With modern tech, it does not require harassing every customer at the exit to check their receipt.

Paranoid people might not like this idea but if they are putting surveillance on you anyway, it can just as easily determine if you went through the checkout or not, given basic location parameters based on which cams pick you up.

It's not that I advocate that, but it beats even more intrusion into functionality of things I own.

I doubt it would be that easy. Maybe not like Apple bricking its demo devices, but at least harder than just plugging in a JTAG interface and trying to guess exactly how it works. I'd think it would be more like a carrier locked phone where a serial number is matched to an unlock code. Only the retailer's equipment should be able to access the database to find the unlock code.
My first thought was like with 90s and 2000s software, where you could download "warez" and key breakers and such that would unlock software.. not sure that stuff even works nowadays, but, maybe there is a way around it.

Cars have Lojack/GPS trackers/can be tracked by your phone by law enforcement if they wanted to bad enough or had a warrant etc, yet people still carjack and steal... the question was asked, what can you do with it assuming once you have it, 1. Spare parts 2. Some people are stupid 3. These mechanisms may not work as intended.

There's some discussion that they may be useful only for spare parts, similar to how people steal demo electronics that can be bricked pretty easily.
This will just lead to serialized parts… basically say the motor has a little ID chip in it, brain box of your tool won’t recognize it as valid and so it still won’t work. A nightmare for anyone who is legitimately trying to fix their stuff.

I watched a guy load up his cart and walk right out of the Middletown, NY Homeless Depot. He casually loaded up the trunk of his beat up grey Nissan Altima and drove off, completely unopposed. I don't think the cops were ever called. I'm 100% sure that this newfound tolerance for crime is becoming a major societal and economic problem for the USA.

And while power tools can be addressed, how in the world can the cashier "activate" a paint brush? This thief stole gallons and gallons of paint, painting supplies and some power tools. If I were to guess, I'd say he contracted a job and stole the supplies to do it.

I watched a guy load up his cart and walk right out of the Middletown, NY Homeless Depot. He casually loaded up the trunk of his beat up grey Nissan Altima and drove off, completely unopposed. I don't think the cops were ever called. I'm 100% sure that this newfound tolerance for crime is becoming a major societal and economic problem for the USA.

And while power tools can be addressed, how in the world can the cashier "activate" a paint brush? This thief stole gallons and gallons of paint, painting supplies and some power tools. If I were to guess, I'd say he contracted a job and stole the supplies to do it.
The speeches being given are open invitations - be nice if it was their money but these businesses are either publicly traded or privately owned …

Back