Home Depot Selling Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might have missed this here, but HD is selling oil and filters now. Mostly M1 at 25/5 Quarts.

Not bad, but no 0w20.
frown.gif

They must be counting on selling it as a convenience stop. There is now way with the small stock they have, that they are competitive price wise.

They must be doing it in certain test markets. I have not seen it in the Home Depot's in my area.

Years ago back when oil was SL and SJ Home Depot was selling OUT their oil and haven't carried it for years, since 2005 or 2006. When they were clearing their shelves it was a buck a quart for Pennzoil High mileage and YB and QS. I cleared out two stores, 60 or 80 quarts. Sadly, it's all gone, but what I wouldn't give for some SL Pennzoil these days.

Local HD here sells Sopus oils - only good deal is the Formula Shell - $2.94 a qt - the rest is overpriced - close to $5 for PYB and QSGB each qt.

I saw some in one Home Depot, didn't pay attention to the price of oil, but I noticed that the H8 battery that they carry was $119 and Walmart sells one for $123 so it's surprising that they're beating Walmart on a battery price. Then if you use a 10% off Lowes competitor coupon it's even cheaper. On the other hand, the battery had a nice film of dust on it.

Give them a few years to sit on the shelf and / or wait for new bottling / GF6 and you'll pick them up on clearance.

The Home Depot Inc. is testing eagerly a new business opportunity – the “Do-It-Yourself” automotive segment.

Carol Tomé, chief financial officer for Atlanta-based Home Depot since 2001, disclosed Monday the company’s interest during a talk to the Rotary Club of Atlanta.

In response to a question about what was the next area of opportunity for the company, Tomé said the company currently had “Do-It-Yourself Automotive” in pilot “right now” in some of its stores.

“And they make lots of money,” she said as she exited the stage. “Stay tuned.” After her talk, Tomé said Home Depot has pilots in about 50 stores in select markets across the country.

“We really like what we are seeing,” she said. “It’s replacing your windshield wipers and spark plugs. It’s a natural extension of what we do. I like what I see.”

Tomé said many of the contractors who are Home Depot’s top customers are hands-on people who are able to work on their cars. By selling automotive parts, they will be able to do more one-stop shopping.

About 4 percent of Home Depot’s customers account for 40 percent of its business, she said.

Asked when Home Depot might implement the DIY automotive business company-wide, Tomé said she did not know and the decision had not yet been made. But she added such a decision would not be made at the board level by the company’s executive team.

“It will be our decision,” she said.

She noted the company had piloted less successfully another line of business.

“We also piloted pet food, but that didn’t turn out so well,” Tomé said.

Sep 22, 2014, 2:55pm EDT
Maria Saporta
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2014/09/22/the-home-depot-piloting-the-do-it-yourself.html

Quote:
About 4 percent of Home Depot’s customers account for 40 percent of its business, she said.
Pareto!

The local Lowe's carries a few jugs of Pennzoil, and has for years. No surprise, besides all the contractor pickup trucks, hardly a worksite is without small engine powered concrete mixers, air compressors, hole diggers, generators, tampers, you name it.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
The local Lowe's carries a few jugs of Pennzoil, and has for years. No surprise, besides all the contractor pickup trucks, hardly a worksite is without small engine powered concrete mixers, air compressors, hole diggers, generators, tampers, you name it.

My Lowe's closed out their entire automotive section totally. The only thing they now sell is Seafoam and some miscellaneous auto care products. Though I did pick up some Castrol Edge motor oil and Castrol tranny fluid for a good close out price. Across the street from this Lowe's is Advance Auto Parts and WalMart.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back