Home depot doesn't take my credit card online

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way I can buy something online from home depot is to go to the store and buy a gift card and then use the gift card to purchase the item. I have three different cards and none of them work. They are all visa. Of course Home Depot says nothing is wrong on their end and I call the bank and they say everything is fine on their end also. So I don't know what to do. This is two different banks. One is an amazon chase visa and the other two cards are from a credit union. The only thing I can think of is that maybe visa has my address wrong or something? That's what the guy at Home Depot said.

Any ideas on what I can do? I was going to call the bank and say I was going to close my account if they can't fix the problem.

With my workplace credit card, a few online vendors do no work unless the address I use for the purchase EXACTLY matches the billing address associated with my credit card. Other vendors seem to not care. Odd.

Check the address info your card is set up for.

Originally Posted By: babbittd
What is the error message that you receive from the Home Depot website?

I can't remember what it says exactly.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
The only way I can buy something online from home depot is to go to the store and buy a gift card and then use the gift card to purchase the item. I have three different cards and none of them work. They are all visa. Of course Home Depot says nothing is wrong on their end and I call the bank and they say everything is fine on their end also. So I don't know what to do. This is two different banks. One is an amazon chase visa and the other two cards are from a credit union. The only thing I can think of is that maybe visa has my address wrong or something? That's what the guy at Home Depot said.

You must get a statement from the credit card company to your billing address. Is that the same address you have used when you try and buy online?

You should contact your card provider to make sure the billing address you are entering exactly matches the one your bank has on file. It sounds like something isn't matching up with the identity verification.

It could be worse. I had to skip lunch at work today (I usually go home at lunch) and decided to get Pizza Hut delivered. Gross, I know. Anyway, tried to order online, and it said they were "unable to process"...but when I checked my account, I saw a pending charge for the online order they were supposedly unable to process. Apparently they could process the card, but not the disgusting grease pile excuse for a pizza. There was also a pending charge for the order I placed after calling the store. Pizza [censored] has been contacted and informed that if that charge hits my account, it will be disputed immediately. Money paid + no grease cheese pile in return = fraud.

Didn't you know HD was hacked by russians? Better check your credit card statements. I just checked mine and nothing unusual yet. Looks like no one purchased mine account or it was not stolen. They go $20-50 on russian black market.

resc-as1.png

http://www.theburningplatform.com/2014/09/03/every-home-depot-store-in-the-country-has-been-hacked/

Originally Posted By: Donald

You must get a statement from the credit card company to your billing address. Is that the same address you have used when you try and buy online?

I don't know if this matters, but my address has a Court at the end and it shows CT on the credit card statement. I think I had been typing the whole word instead of the abbreviation. I guess that would cause the problem. I've never had a problem with that before on any other purchases from other places.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
http://www.theburningplatform.com/2014/09/03/every-home-depot-store-in-the-country-has-been-hacked/

side note, I don't understand complaints such as from the link: Sounds of silence from the mainstream media

I purposefully avoid almost all news (actually almost all mass media) and still somehow managed to find out about this story (possibly from BITOG!) The blog entry is dated 9/3 and a quick search in google news reveals hundreds upon hundreds of articles from 9/2 and 9/3. This is the "sound of silence"? What does a media stampede sound like to that guy?

By the way, is this irony?

OP might have had his attempted transactions blocked because of a discrepancy in the spelling of one word in the street address. This is probably one of the ways by which online merchants think that they're preventing fraudulent use of cards.

I don't care about any kind of news reports, please don't derail my thread. Thank you:)

Okay.

Now the reason I asked about the error message is that it's possible it might have something to do with one particular browser setting or even an add-on in your browser that the Home Depot website doesn't agree with.

I don't care about any kind of news reports, please don't derail my thread. Thank you:)

Okay.

Now the reason I asked about the error message is that it's possible it might have something to do with one particular browser setting or even an add-on in your browser that the Home Depot website doesn't agree with.

It doesn't work ordering at the store or my own house so that can't be it.

I purposefully avoid almost all news (actually almost all mass media) and still somehow managed to find out about this story (possibly from BITOG!) The blog entry is dated 9/3 and a quick search in google news reveals hundreds upon hundreds of articles from 9/2 and 9/3. This is the "sound of silence"? What does a media stampede sound like to that guy?

That's the thing. You don't find out important news from general media. If you do, there is a huge delay and things are carefully distorted to fit the audience. Remember that US media is business and entertainment.

BTW, internet news is not general media.

By the way, is this irony?

OP might have had his attempted transactions blocked because of a discrepancy in the spelling of one word in the street address. This is probably one of the ways by which online merchants think that they're preventing fraudulent use of cards.

I'm pretty sure I've spelled it either way when buying things online. Honestly it's never crossed my mind until now. I'm trying to think of what I could buy just to test it out spelling it the other way.

OP, do you have any other online issues with your ZIP code?

I live in an area whose zip code still isn't recognized by some websites (including Home Depot). I actually just used another zip code for my city which is just my zip code + 1, and Home Depot's website then accepts my order.

Okay.

My first guess was going to be that they did a knee-jerk security move due to the bad PR. Doing a transaction in a B&M store, and then isolating the customer via the gift cards seems to me to be a defensive maneuver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back