Home defense round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I feel ripped off because I was used to paying $4 for 25 shells. But I went to WalMart and bought a pack of 5 hollow point slugs and five #1 Buck. For both it was like $8 otd.

HyperJinx, about the number. My #1 has 16 pellets and I think 0 or 00 buck had 15.

Maybe I should have looked elsewhere, but they are Winchester and since I will not be taking them to the range (only have 10 shells anyway) lets hope there's never a need to use them.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
...(only have 10 shells anyway) lets hope there's never a need to use them.

Hollow point slugs, for what? You plan on deer hunting in your front yard?

You need to pattern those in your gun before you have to use them. I'd suggest you purchase at least 2 more boxes of each. Best if you trade the slugs for #1 or 0 buck shells. #4 turkey loads are excellent HD rounds.

Measure the longest possible un-obstructed distance in your home. Pace that off at the range. Using some really large cardboard fire them and see what happens. You're in for a surprise.

Remember, if a BG breaks in and decides to leave when he hears you rack the slide. The threat to you and the family is not present anymore.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hollow point slugs, for what? You plan on deer hunting in your front yard?

You need to pattern those in your gun before you have to use them. I'd suggest you purchase at least 2 more boxes of each. Best if you trade the slugs for #1 or 0 buck shells.

Good advice, thought they probably won't take the ammo back in trade.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
BB shot works good at under 12-15 feet. #4 Buckshot, #1 Buckshot, and #00 Buckshot are all fantastic for home defense.

There is a lot of info on the net about how #1 Buck has more damage potential than the other rounds. It has 16 .30 caliber pellets. They are somewhat hard to find and are only made in small batches a couple times a year.

+1. The International Wound Ballistics Association recommends #1 buckshot. http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

In a serious poor waking up vision, darkness, blurry.... I'd rather not worry about my neighbors in case I don't aim well and miss. So, my revolver is loaded with a couple less likely to hit the neighbors ammo. And, if it hits the perpetrator, it'll still do the damage. By round 3, the heavy hitters come into play. Screw the neighbors as by round 3, I've become more important.

Dog barking is a great deterrent. Gives you time to wake up and flip on the lights. Hopefully the criminal doesn't 1st toss some hot dogs at the hungry mutt. Lots of motion sensing outdoor lights is a plus.

Racking the slide is another deterrent if you don't have deaf criminals.

Laser/flashlight mounted on the weapon is another deterrent if the criminal isn't blind.

Any criminal that steps toward me will be sorry. But, if they turn the other way and run, there is no cause for me to fire.

Maybe the bird shot is a good 1st choice, especially if you live near me. Make sure the buckshot is the 2nd! By the time you rack it a 2nd time, I'll be awake and ducking for cover giving you a clear shot at the criminal and whatever walls the shot goes through.

2 million crimes are prevented yearly by the 'sight' of a weapon. You don't always have to shoot.

When you live in an apt/condo, vs side by side housing, vs the sticks with acreage, you pick an ammo that is appropriate for your homestead.

Hitting the perpetrator is the most important thing to do. So, get to the range field and practice. Make sure you don't hit your neighbors.

A .22lr can save your life if you hit the target. http://tv.breitbart.com/knife-wielding-home-invader-put-in-hospital-by-80-year-old-john-wayne-fan/

Courtesy call rounds are a bad idea. The person who broke into your home is wide awake and more likely to be willing to kill someone without thinking than most homeowners are. It's not a game.

Actually, the person who broke into your house might be wide awake, but is more likely a chicken who'll run at the 1st site of a homeowner with a weapon.
And, no way is my revolver's 38spl(GlaserSafety/Magsafe...) or ANY 12 gauge a courtesy call round. Sure, my 3rd-6th round are .357(DPX/GoldDots/Silvertip/Hydrashok...).

The attitude that you're not safe and can't defend yourself at all without anything but a 30mm cannon recycled off an A10 Warthog is foolish.

I only have an antique shotgun, but have a new .45 with 230 grain hollowpoints if anyone gets brave
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650
The person who broke into your home is wide awake and more likely to be willing to kill someone without thinking than most homeowners are. It's not a game.

A good guard dog (or good house alarm system) is the first line of defense, and will give the house owner an early warning that something might be up ... giving him a chance to wake up and get his weapon ready.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Actually, the person who broke into your house might be wide awake, but is more likely a chicken who'll run at the 1st site of a homeowner with a weapon.
And, no way is my revolver's 38spl(GlaserSafety/Magsafe...) or ANY 12 gauge a courtesy call round. Sure, my 3rd-6th round are .357(DPX/GoldDots/Silvertip/Hydrashok...).

The attitude that you're not safe and can't defend yourself at all without anything but a 30mm cannon recycled off an A10 Warthog is foolish.

However the idea of wounding/courtesy rounds is also foolish. You train to stop the threat. You use rounds that can't meet min penetration required by handgun rounds to incapicitate, you're asking for trouble. What happens after you use all six rounds and he's/she is still coming?

I don't let a BG know I'm unprepared by racking my shotgun. It's already loaded and ready to go .

As already been stated, handgun rounds really need 10-12+ inches of penetration to reach vitals or hit the CNS, and at those depths, house wall construction is no match. Again you train to know where you should and shouldn't be firing your weapon in the homestead, and you train and train again until it becomes muscle memory.

Last edited:
I was told long ago for an overall defense round the no.6 shot is the best! here in Los Angeles I've lived through 3 riots since I was born without having my dad firing a shot. For me when I was a kid it was fun looking out the window. Kinda liike going to the movies.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Buffman

However the idea of wounding/courtesy rounds is also foolish. You train to stop the threat. You use rounds that can't meet min penetration required by handgun rounds to incapacitate, you're asking for trouble. What happens after you use all six rounds and he's/she is still coming?

I don't let a BG know I'm unprepared by racking my shotgun. It's already loaded and ready to go .

As already been stated, handgun rounds really need 10-12+ inches of penetration to reach vitals or hit the CNS, and at those depths, house wall construction is no match. Again you train to know where you should and shouldn't be firing your weapon in the homestead, and you train and train again until it becomes muscle memory.

I'm an expert marksman. If I have to fire, I won't need more than 1 to finish someone off regardless of the caliber. If someone needs to fire 6 rounds at a BG, then they shouldn't own a gun.

I could also care less about all studies, CNS, FBI.... All it takes is one head shot.

I'd rather double tap in the center mass. Heads move very quickly and are rather narrow.

But I agree warning shots are a no go. If the bullet is going out the barrel its going towards the threat.

They made the decision for me.

Originally Posted By: Buffman

However the idea of wounding/courtesy rounds is also foolish. You train to stop the threat. You use rounds that can't meet min penetration required by handgun rounds to incapacitate, you're asking for trouble. What happens after you use all six rounds and he's/she is still coming?

I'm an expert marksman. If I have to fire, I won't need more than 1 to finish someone off regardless of the caliber. If someone needs to fire 6 rounds at a BG, then they shouldn't own a gun.

I could also care less about all studies, CNS, FBI.... All it takes is one head shot.

I don't know any of your backround information (yet in your previous post you mention if you missed the BG because you didn't aim well), but if all means you can make such claims to head shot self defense shots in the heat of the moment, then good for you. The studies you could care less about (CNS = Central Nervous System) have shown in situations individuals can survive multiple gunshot wounds of various caliber sizes up to smaller caliber rifle rounds. I don' see how you can discredit studies of factual information by an agency that puts down ore people than most.

Again you're foolish to fire warning shots.

Last edited:
Who's firing warning shots?

Quit putting words in peoples mouth. No way in [censored] [censored] is birdshot or 38spl a warning shot.

Who's firing warning shots?

Quit putting words in peoples mouth. No way in [censored] [censored] is birdshot or 38spl a warning shot.

sorry I got a little ahead of myself in wording. "courtesy call round" as you put it and how I stated. When it comes down to it, why handicap yourself with a pistol that shoots rounds that time and time again fail to penetrate a min required distance to stop a threat. And on top of that pay a premium for them.

Last edited:

If someone breaks into a home when it is likely the homeowner is inside they are not a chicken. They have probably thought about the possibility of the homeowner being armed and are prepared to deal with that possibility.

If only it were that easy. People don't stand still when they are being shot at, that includes you and the bad guy. What you get is two moving targets shooting at each other while trying to keep from being shot themselves. That's why you sometimes see shootouts where dozens of rounds are fired at close range and no one gets hit.

At 20 feet or less #4 will drop some one no problem. #4s are cheaper, and less likely to kill anyone else inside on a miss. However if you live in the sticks by yourself go with the nasty stuff. 00 slugs sabots disks . TAPs would help me sleep imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back