Home brewed gun lube, anyone?

Any body make their own gun lube? I got the idea from the YouTube channel "School of the American rifle". I made mine slightly different then his recipe. I used one can of Super Lube and added some Liqui Moly 5w40 until I got the consistency I wanted. Love this stuff so far. Stays where I put it without being overly thick.

ab220571-2e9c-4765-beec-87564d718b9d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using a few oz of M1 15W50 that I last used for a motorcycle probably 15+ years ago. Granted, what I normally shoot isn't particularly hard on oil.

Any body make their own gun lube? I got the idea from the YouTube channel "School of the American rifle". I made mine slightly different then his recipe. I used one can of Super Lube and added some Liqui Moly 5w40 until I got the consistency I wanted. Love this stuff so far. Stays where I put it without being overly thick. View attachment 81598
Never tried split pea soup.

Not sure I’d want to use super lube, though I love the stuff for other applications…. Reason being i wouldn’t want ptfe in combustion and overly hot locations….

I make Ed’s red and use it for different stuff. Different levels of lanolin in different blends depending upon the use…

I use other lubes though as well….

Here is an interesting link on chamber temperatures. Super lube is good to over 600 degrees.

I saw that video where he mixed it up and applied it.. Was chuckling to myself that it would probably make some heads explode when they saw how much lube he uses 🤣

I was kinda shocked at how much he used, and I'm a guy that probably uses more then the average bear.

For grins , I made a Home Brew consisting of Mobil 1 20W 50 V-Twin Motor Cycle Oil (3 parts) , STP Oil Treatment - Blue Bottle (1 part) and DEXOS IV Automatic Transmission Fluid (1 part) . I mixed them all together and use only on places that need lube in a firearm (slide rails , outside of barrel where it rubs against the slide hood , etc.) Motor oil is lousy at rust prevention and as a cleaner . *While my Homebrew (based off of "eel snot" recipe) is a great lube , I find I use so little of the stuff on guns that I just now use a good dedicated gun lube like FP10 , Weapon Shield , M Pro-7 , or even Eezox . and call it a day .

I own quite a few guns, shoot a lot, clean (then lube) them every range trip.

You’ve hit on my major point: I only use a tiny amount of gun lube. I don’t need a whole lot of lube.

Even at a high usage level, the number of ounces of gun lube used in a year is very small. If a 4 oz bottle lasts me a year, then mixing up my own brew is an exercise in waste, because it’ll take me years just to try and use it all.

My other, more minor point: guns aren’t that picky. Almost any oil works for lubrication (my Garands get grease).

Where guns are picky: ingredients that can harm metal or wood finishes, or don’t do well in high heat.

So, ingredients other than plain oil, like Teflon that doesn’t do well with high heat, or things that dissolve copper (the substrate on nickel finishes) need to be carefully avoided in some cases. Commercial products carefully avoid those, or they warn you right on the label about their inclusion.

Home brews might include deleterious ingredients inadvertently. Some synthetic Gear oils harm bronze bushings and synchros, for example. So, put a bit of that gear lube (it‘s synthetic, so it must be good, right?) in your home brew, wipe down your prized nickel plated S&W and who knows what you may have done to that finish.

I’m not a chemist. I’ll leave chemistry to the guys that understand it, and experimentation to those that are willing to risk their own collections.

Well guys, this is from memory and is supposedly an ARMY armorers formula from the 50's I think. 6 guys made up a batch and shared it and never ran out. 1 qt. Non-detergent 30 weight oil, 1 qt Type F automatic transmission fluid, 1 can STP and 1 bottle of Hoppes #9 gun cleaner. What I can't remember is whether or not some wheel bearing grease was used or not.
I can see how each component had a role to perform. Sort of an antique CLP.

One of the guys gave me 4 oz. and I still use it from time to time. The formula is around 70 years old and there has been a quantum leap is some petroleum formulations since then. You guys can see what worked for years and make your own blends.

YMMV

Yes I have, recipes on the web. As I recall, auto trans fluid to start, some thin synthetic motor oil & a few other things. It kinda becomes ‘Ed’s Red’.

I recently tried out a "magic brew" of AeroShell 22 mixed with a bit of tungsten disulfide (WS2). I'm still experimenting with the ratios but for the first batch I filled a 20-dram pill bottle with AeroShell 22 (roughly ~2.5 oz) mixed with about 1/8 teaspoon of WS2. At first it appeared that was way too much WS2, and it was, however, it did mix very well...just looks a little too dark, almost black. I'll cut the next batch in half. Nevertheless, the batch in the pill bottle will last a lifetime.

So far, I'm happy with the results. I tried it on a couple of pistols, and it seemed to perform very well. I used a very small amount, just enough to leave a thin layer. Being a synthetic grease base, it adheres well and provides very good lubrication, and the added WS2 seemed to improve the smoothness of action. Also, no signs of "gumming" or grease dry-out were evident on disassembly.

I only fired about 200 rounds with each pistol, so time will tell how good, bad, or ugly the results of this experiment will be.

Last edited:
Rem Oil or some other spray lube and 5W-30 for rails, barrels, and other higher friction points. Any fancy boutique lubes are just completely un-necessary.

Back