Home blend--Pennzoil & Mobil 1 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I myself use Schaeffer's 7000 10w30 now that I am halfway educated by you guys, but a friend of mine has been creating his own recipe. The vehicle is a 2001 Chevy Malibu 3.1L with 4.5 quart capacity. He's been taking 3.5 quarts of Pennzoil 5w30 SL dino and mixing it with 1 quart of Mobil 1 5w30 SJ Tri-Syn in a 5qt Pennzoil jug. I have used both of these oils in the past and actually am responsible for him trying synthetics--what I haven't done is mixed oils like this. He seems to think he is getting the best of both worlds by getting a blend at a reasonable price. I don't know his change interval but I would guess he goes by the old 3K or 3month myth. What do you guys think of this practice?

I don't think he is getting much out of that imo but whatcha think of this one for a winter oil?

1 quart of Delvac 1300s and that huge additive package and 4 quarts of Pennzoil 5/20 ?
wink.gif

I would highly NOT RECOMMEND BLENDING those two brands together. Blending the base stocks would not hurt, but these are completely two different additive packages made by two different chemical companies.

If your friend wants to blend Mobil 1 with something, tell him to blend it with regular Mobil Drive Clean.

i am a blender. i have a 91 honda accord with 150k on it. when my dad would have it he mix his oil (10w30) wiht syntec. after reading up on this site i stopped that ebcause of the incapadability issues with 2 completly differnt oils, a syntetic and a dino oil. after extensive reaserch and many questions on this site i have concluded that i should stick with a brand and blend if i wish. i dont trust syntetics though for my old engine. so i do a syntetic blend mixed with a dino oil of the same company...im not getting alot of syntetic..barley any..but i am getting some and not alot

mobil drive clean with 1 qt of mobil clean blend. same exact company and product. pretty good...without an oil analysis though i cant say much but i been getting good milage..im comming to my oil change mark in about 700 miles...cool..hehe ill continue to use this method

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
I would highly NOT RECOMMEND BLENDING those two brands together. Blending the base stocks would not hurt, but these are completely two different additive packages made by two different chemical companies.

If your friend wants to blend Mobil 1 with something, tell him to blend it with regular Mobil Drive Clean.

I don't think anyone will be blending Trysyn much longer,,the old stock has gotta run out sometime I would think ,,,,athough at a Walmart out of town last unday they had 3 5 quart jugs of Trysin SJ for 28 something a jug,,thats more than a 6 quart case of Supersyn!

To the post about shelf life,Mobil Supersyn stored indoors is 10 years,I got it in print from Mobil,opened and tightly resealed bottles in same strorge is one year,again from Mobil. Seems dinos are a different deal,some say two years,others 4-6 years. Betcha Redline will store well

Yes, every time you blend different brands, you take a chance that their additives will not "play well" together. It may render one or more of the additives completely ineffectual. It might not be a big risk, but it exists so I wouldn't recommend making it a regular practice.

'boat, because Red Line is a polyol ester, I would not think it would keep as well over the years ... unless you could store it in an extrememly dry environment.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back