Holy Freak'n Viruses

What would be a better free AV program for Linux?

Not that I think Linux needs AV program to begin with.
Honestly the only application I have ever seen in the real world for AV scanning on a Linux system has been on email servers scanning messages for malware destined for Windows clients. I suppose there'd be equal use in running AV on network file storage, too.

I think the most important thing a normal user can do is ensure their browser has an ad- or script-blocker running. I use uBlock Origin.

It looks like I have to install 18.04 before 20.04 and that will take a couple hours

So you are upgrading what you feel to be a compromised system? Doesn't a clean install seem more prudent or even (as i suggested previously) have someone scrutinize what you are seeing with tk to make sure you are interpreting the results correctly?

Maintaining a virus scanning software install on the personal computer operating system is a Windows paradigm. If using Linux for the personal computer OS, don’t worry about scanning for viruses with a virus scanner, worry instead about keeping the browsers’ security patches and OS updates current. That will be the better use of your resources (time and effort).

Back