Holograms on headlight after using 3M Ultra headlight Restoration Kit.

As the title states I just got done with the 3000 grit pad, 5 passes over the high beam light. Swirls and holograms everywhere.

I'm assuming I need to continue sanding?

EDIT: Image Link

Drill has a max speed of 1500rpm, restoration kit recommends max speed of 1600rpm. Water was constantly applied to headlight lenses between standings to remove debris and headlights never got hot to the touch.

Is this something a plastic polish remove?

Did you use the 500 and 800 grit discs on it? Maybe it will look better after their clear coat is applied. Hopefully you followed the directions carefully.

Edit: Just re-read your post. Sorry, I thought you had a different issue.

If you are applying clearcoat, the clear coat should cover that. Otherwise you might need to try an intermediate step with 1500, followed by 3000, before compounding and polishing.

Last edited:
Did you use the 500 and 800 grit discs on it? Maybe it will look better after their clear coat is applied. Hopefully you followed the directions carefully.
I followed the directions to a T.
1 pass 500
2 passes 800
5 passes 3000

I notice when I drag my finger nail across the lens the cloudiness and swirls/holograms go away in that small area.. I'm thinking a polish will clean it right up.

Mcguires plast-X says it can be used in conjuction with heavy duty headlight restoration kits. I'll be right back boys.

As the title states I just got done with the 3000 grit pad, 5 passes over the high beam light. Swirls and holograms everywhere.

I'm assuming I need to continue sanding?

EDIT: Image Link

yeah I had holograms also.
one looked just like Sophia Vergara and I left it alone.

No polish. You need the 3000 grit finish for the clearcoat to bond better.
If you watch the instructional video on 3M's YouTube channel they actually recommend a plastic polish after the 3000 grit step.

That's if polish is your last step. If you plan on coating it, you're not supposed to use polish.

Hmm. Would that still apply if I hand polished with a terry cloth for a quick minute or so as opposed to using a power attachment?

Don't know. The fine scratches that 3000 grit leaves behind gives the clearcoat better grip. Whatever you do, if you clearcoat it, clean it off well with alcohol or a paint prep degreaser.

Hmm. Would that still apply if I hand polished with a terry cloth for a quick minute or so as opposed to using a power attachment?
Yes. Clearcoat usually requires some roughness to bond. Typically 2K or less. 3K might be iffy.

Yes. Clearcoat usually requires some roughness to bond. Typically 2K or less. 3K might be iffy.
Well the clearcoat in this kit isn't your typical clearcoat. It's on a wipe that you apply directly to the headlight. It's not spray on.

Back