Hollywood Slammed

While I loved this speech, for many reasons, I think this thread will go political in a few more posts...so, I’m going to leave it open for now, and hope I’m wrong...

A point he made that agree with is that we will see the centralized media becoming much less centralized. Netflix, Amazon, Apple, and others all have enough resources to produce high quality media and we are seeing a return to more highly skilled writing and acting.

A point he made that agree with is that we will see the centralized media becoming much less centralized. Netflix, Amazon, Apple, and others all have enough resources to produce high quality media and we are seeing a return to more highly skilled writing and acting.
Not to mention money and power … Unreal to see the tons of cash flowing through these companies …

Not to mention money and power … Unreal to see the tons of cash flowing through these companies …

Over the years Hollywood kept adding layer after layer of show business bureaucracy to their own detriment. Along with it came heightened costs to produce. Slowly with little notice of the big giants in the industry they lost a lot of business. Atlanta just one of many cities that took some of the former Hollywood studio shoots. I work in a small no-mane city in Westchester NY and we've had multiple movie shoots take place in our city.

Reason why, cheap! And I'm not talking B movies with no-name actors/actresses. HBO has filmed 4 series/movies I can remember over the last 5 years here. Two marquie names I can remember is Kate WInslet (can't remember the name of the movie) and Richard Gere was early 2000's about an adulterous affair gone bad.

Smaller producers now have the tech they can produce legitimate movies or series at a fraction of the cost of Hollywood and the strong unions present as well as sell their product to an open market that didn't exist that long ago.

The subject matter of the OP is not political. It's a comic doing his best to sound like he's telling "super-duper inside show biz" jokes.

This is all just fluff and not to be taken seriously at all.

Nothing new here and definitely nothing political.

Having worked in the entertainment industry since 1989 the establishment needs the brutal glass of water in the face it gets from a guy like Ricky.

The trouble is that as things have gotten “decentralized “ the actual cost of content has gotten much more expensive.

my best friend subscribes to no less than a dozen online services to get the (mostly old) TV and movies he enjoys and content that used to be free YouTube etc, plus the mandatory fastest / most reliable internet Provider in the area that balloons to about a hundred bucks a month without a good “alternative“ option.

Cord cutters are somewhat screwed considering normal. OTA TV is loosing content every year but it’s being replaced by content sources that cost about as much as basic cable used to be.

This false sense of choice is coming at a high price and you still get mandatory advertising and stuck in an ever changing set of providers needing to move subscription to subscription to keep the content you want.

Sad state of affairs having traded OK OTA TV and moderately OK $19.99 basic cable for a multitude of paid streaming services.

I really don’t see how the cord got cut if it costs more.
(Assuming you don’t get into the Gray area of stream searching and FTA satellite)

The trouble is that as things have gotten “decentralized “ the actual cost of content has gotten much more expensive.

my best friend subscribes to no less than a dozen online services to get the (mostly old) TV and movies he enjoys and content that used to be free YouTube etc, plus the mandatory fastest / most reliable internet Provider in the area that balloons to about a hundred bucks a month without a good “alternative“ option.

Cord cutters are somewhat screwed considering normal. OTA TV is loosing content every year but it’s being replaced by content sources that cost about as much as basic cable used to be.

This false sense of choice is coming at a high price and you still get mandatory advertising and stuck in an ever changing set of providers needing to move subscription to subscription to keep the content you want.

Sad state of affairs having traded OK OTA TV and moderately OK $19.99 basic cable for a multitude of paid streaming services.

I really don’t see how the cord got cut if it costs more.
(Assuming you don’t get into the Gray area of stream searching and FTA satellite)

For $19.99 you must get the three main networks plus PBS?

I haven’t seen a price like that in years. Here it’s like $60-70 a month for simple basic.

For $19.99 you must get the three main networks plus PBS?

I haven’t seen a price like that in years. Here it’s like $60-70 a month for simple basic.

Simple basic can still be had $39.99-$49.99 ala carte depending on where your unfortunate enough to live

DSL was still $9.99 A month up until 2014 (as a reference)$14.99 through 2018.

Now DSL is mostly (not available) and internet costs have skyrocketed as the only other option has died.

And to be honest nothing I’ve seen so far is worth $100+ a month (streaming services might be worth $5 collectively, lots of crapola)

unfortunate people are willing to keep paying more and more, if they refused you would See legitimate options and some of this garbage die off.

Back