Holley carb only works on cold engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by NYEngineer
Fixed or not, I;d still replace the carb with one without all that goofiness.

Thanks for the advice but since it is a farm truck I will just keep it for now. Luckily it was a simple fix The first sign of another problem I will replace it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by liberty
Originally Posted by NYEngineer
Fixed or not, I;d still replace the carb with one without all that goofiness.

Thanks for the advice but since it is a farm truck I will just keep it for now. Luckily it was a simple fix The first sign of another problem I will replace it.

Nice. Glad you got it workin'.

The governor feature is useful for dump trucks since you can run up the engine in a controlled way to power the PTO pump.

Originally Posted by mk378
The governor feature is useful for dump trucks since you can run up the engine in a controlled way to power the PTO pump.

It has a manual cable for that on the dash. I pull the knob and it sets the throttle.

Last edited:
Not sure what the body is on that one, but I have a 4160 mainbody here that you can have for the price of shipping if you want it.

It has a manual cable for that on the dash. I pull the knob and it sets the throttle.

With a governor you can pull the throttle more aggressively, it will come up to governed rpm and automatically get more gas instead of bogging when the hoist starts to strain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Not sure what the body is on that one, but I have a 4160 mainbody here that you can have for the price of shipping if you want it.

Would you by chance know the cfm on it?

IIRC, I think it's a 650? I could look to see if it has a part # on it though when I get home. It was off my buddy's Mustang, he bought my Holley 750 HP mainbody kit that I had purchased for my Capri that I had as a work in progress but never completed, so I parked his mainbody in my basement.

IIRC, I think it's a 650? I could look to see if it has a part # on it though when I get home. It was off my buddy's Mustang, he bought my Holley 750 HP mainbody kit that I had purchased for my Capri that I had as a work in progress but never completed, so I parked his mainbody in my basement.

A 650 would be oversized. The OE s a 530 and it runs rich with that. I appreciate the offer.

A 650 would be oversized. The OE s a 530 and it runs rich with that. I appreciate the offer.

One would jet it appropriately
wink.gif
This 650 was on a 302, which is what the 750 then went on. Jetting was done using a wideband, as was accelerator pump tuning. The old school way would be to do it by reading the plugs. Realistically, you'd probably get really close just using the jets from your existing mainbody, but a Holley jet kit is quite inexpensive.

Just went and looked at it and yeah, it's a 650 double-pumper. However, we pulled the choke plate at some point there.

This was the carb:
https://www.holley.com/products/fue...mper/classic_double_pumper/parts/0-4777C

However, most of what you see was reused on the HP mainbody unfortunately, probably not worth it to build this back up, as you'd likely be able to find an intact specimen that would make the job a lot easier locally
frown.gif

Just went and looked at it and yeah, it's a 650 double-pumper. However, we pulled the choke plate at some point there.

This was the carb:
https://www.holley.com/products/fue...mper/classic_double_pumper/parts/0-4777C

However, most of what you see was reused on the HP mainbody unfortunately, probably not worth it to build this back up, as you'd likely be able to find an intact specimen that would make the job a lot easier locally
frown.gif

Thanks for the update and the offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back