Holes.... What's with the holes?

On my old NISSAN filters made in China, there was no room for oil to flow around the cardboard endcaps inside, Maybe 7 to 10 thousandths in some spots but contacting the can along much or the perimeter.!

So inlet holes were the least of the problem. And, Yes, it ruined a new engine.

View attachment 117080
That's just crazy! I suppose this was an actually issue (defective engineering possibly?) Holes, Louvers... Neither of those matters when there's no clearance.

1I believe the flattened holes can be lain on their sides so they can be punched through a smaller annulus.
2) Design elements are shrinking in dimension. If the rectangle fits better...?
3) Hole cutting tool shape may effect warpage during manufacture. This could be the genesis of the teardrop.

If blingy music people wear gold versions of the 3-legged adaptor for 45 rpm records....BITOGers should wear gold baseplates.
Favorite baseplate too big to be a lavalier? Make it a belt buckle.

1I believe the flattened holes can be lain on their sides so they can be punched through a smaller annulus.
2) Design elements are shrinking in dimension. If the rectangle fits better...?
3) Hole cutting tool shape may effect warpage during manufacture. This could be the genesis of the teardrop.

If blingy music people wear gold versions of the 3-legged adaptor for 45 rpm records....BITOGers should wear gold baseplates.
Favorite baseplate too big to be a lavalier? Make it a belt buckle.

I have no idea what was said here.

On my old NISSAN filters made in China, there was no room for oil to flow around the cardboard endcaps inside, Maybe 7 to 10 thousandths in some spots but contacting the can along much or the perimeter.!
Yes, that's another factor to consider with oil filter design. Guess those designers learned a lesson. :sneaky:

That's just crazy! I suppose this was an actually issue (defective engineering possibly?) Holes, Louvers... Neither of those matters when there's no clearance.
I think something was lost in translation to manufacturing in China. Spin-on filters would never be designed this way. A few guys on here had their engine go on new Nissan Versa early on running this filter. Nissan switched filter manufacturing to Mexico ( who knows the true reasoning) and there were issues there too-and exposed on this forum - but with ADBV. One of the reasons I joined BITOG instead of lurking about ages ago. Filters are the last thing in the chain I - or most anyone - would be pointing fingers at.

Like the epilogue from the original War of the Worlds:

" ... in the end (they) were destroyed ... by the littlest of things ...

Maybe it’s New Green Technology since it’s not brand specific. Lots of regulations people never hear about. Lots of subsidies for pushing Green Technology and ideology.

Back