Holds a lot of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

for a small, simple machine. 6qts for the hydraulic drive system. 3qts for the transaxle and 2 qts for the engine. A rolling mini spill hazard!
LOL.gif
FWIW, I'm running Shell Rotella-T 15w40 for the engine and hydraulics and Supertech 75w90 in the transaxle. (hood off for ease of maintenance); 1979 model year Case 220.
002.jpg

Joel

Quote:
Perfect example of "They don't make 'em like they used to".

Kinda' wondering about the exhaust outlet aimed at that cooler, tho..
crazy2.gif

Maybe it's just an optical illusion?

Yep, that cooler has 30yrs worth of stainage for sure. The exhaust outlet actually pokes through a shielded pocket in the hood, so very little heat is transferred to the hydraulic oil cooler. Problem is, the engine driven cooling fan sucks air through the grille/cooler and pulls some exhaust along with it. There's a small plastic fan bolted to the end of the mechanical PTO. While these old Kohler K241 10hp's run like a champ (this one's 30yrs old and doesn't puff any blue at all) they sure don't burn clean. Apparently Kohler dialed in just enough 'richness' to keep them cool enough to run forever. It's a great machine, but I find the Hy-Drive system a bit quirky compared to a hydrostatic drive machine. The only thing connecting the engine to the drivetrain are two hydraulic lines, so you've got no compression braking at all. The engine is (Lovejoy) coupled to a small hydraulic pump that supplies oil to a drive motor on the trans. Forward, neutral, reverse, groundspeed and a setting called "retard" for downhill situations is all done through valving. One big valve assembly called a "Travel control valve" by Case/Ingersoll. They don't make the 'little wheel' version like mine anymore, but you can still purchase the 'big wheel' version tractors today starting around a cool $6K. http://www.ingersolltractors.com/

Joel

case ingersoll 224, 222 model line. I have a 1976 224 with the k241. my gramdpa ran nd 30wt, i ran mobil 1 10w-30,5w-30, 15w-50, switched to 0w-40 and now 5w-40. i am running 15w-40 amsoil in the truck and will be switching to it at the next service. I have 5w-40 rotella t syn in the hydro's and 80w-90 in the diff.

Originally Posted By: JR
..i am running 15w-40 amsoil in the truck and will be switching to it at the next service. I have 5w-40 rotella t syn in the hydro's and 80w-90 in the diff.

It's funny because any bit of Kohler literature you read, they are adamant about SAE 30 ONLY. OTOH, my Case manual states SAE 30 or 20w40 can be used in temperatures above 30degF. The manual also says you can use 20w40 in place of gear oil in the rear end. From the smell/look of it, I think I had a mixture in mine. I dumped it and refilled with gear oil. 20w40 is a tough find and I don't see the point with readily avail 15w40. The K241 runs smooth as butta on 15w40. Then again, it probably would on anything from a 20wt on up.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JR
20w-40 in the diff, no no. in the hydros but not the diff.

It's right in the Case ops manual and pretty much common knowledge amongst the Case/Ingersoll gurus.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back