Hola From Mexico!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm down in Mexico for spring break, near Guadalajara (not in Cancun, Cozumel, or Puerto Vallarta).

Anyways, I went over to the Wal-Mart in Guad. to take a look at their oils in the auto section.

Really, only two things stood out to me.

First, it seemed like every bottle had "API SL" clearly and largely marked on the front of it...don't see that in the U.S.

The second thing I noticed...the lightest grade is a 40 weight...no 30 or 20 weights to be found. Heck, the high-mileage oils were only in 20w-50!

Also noticed that there was a much higher selection of 5w-40 oil than what we see in the U.S. Also, there were many more straight-weight oils on the shelf...mostly 40 weight.

Justin.

Kind of like what I saw in the Philippines! Guess we is the U.S. are the only ones pushing the lighter weight oils. Of course the average temp in the philippines is about 90 degree F just like Mexico and higher temps take a thicker oil.

I figure it is because of fuel-economy and emissions reasons only.

quote:

Originally posted by Justin:
I figure it is because of fuel-economy and emissions reasons only.

Or that Mexican cars are smokebombs? I remember i was down in San Felipe one summer and most of the cars were belching blue smoke.

One nice thing about that trip is being able to see the Baja 500 come through..

ferb!

I like looking at oil, but come on. If i were in Mexico on spring break, i would find better things to look at. If ya know what i mean.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
I like looking at oil, but come on. If i were in Mexico on spring break, i would find better things to look at. If ya know what i mean.

I just came back from there a few months ago, i also wondered what they used for oil. I assumed 40w. These must be different engines than we have in the U.S. because we are told to use xw-30.

Sounds just like an auto shop in Oz. No 20W at all and the only 0W30 (Castrol SLX) gone, replaced by Formula R 0W40. A few 5/10W30's but 40/50W by the truckload. 5W40 becoming very popular.

Spiritman

offtopic.gif
Why do you call home Oz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back