Hobbies that are indoors and don't involve TV screens or computers?

Art. Drawing, sketching, painting, sculpting...

pencils, watercolor or acrylic paint, clay are all inexpensive. Oil paints are expensive but you don't need those. My wife and I have been painting all during quarantine. We do paint and sip tutorials from YouTube but I've done a few on my own.

Getting ride of clutter in the house, basement and garage.
If it's not needed or brings you no happiness, get rid of it.
Go thru every room, closet, shelf, drawer.
What's left you then organize making your life more efficient.

Fixing, cleaning, lubricating every thing around the house.

Getting better prepared for emergencies.
For me it's snow, high wind and power outages.

Juggling three balls can be learned in hours

Wood-burning

I'm not retired, so I'm brain dead when I get home from work. I mostly sit in front of the TV in the evening, and occasionally read a book (about halfway through all the Jack Reachers), or do sodokus. These ideas being posted have me thinking.

besides cars, i do maintain the house, handy work such as painting, light bulbs, fixing walls, small stuff you know

plus i iron all my cloths that i wear at the job

i do not watch TV, very rarely

I’m looking for something because what I always end up doing is around 6:30 I bet the couch and just watch tv till 9:30 or so (and surf the internet at the same time) and just snack. Probables is, I’m tired by then. I’ve worked all day, I’ve worked out, I’ve eaten supper. And then I just want to let down and kind of veg out.

But I’d like a hobby where I won’t just sit and eat after dinner. Thought about building models, but I haven’t done that since I was like 10 or something. Not I’d like it. I can draw, but not sure I’d like that either. And like I said, I’m usually tired by then.

Exactly. The goal is to have something you can do in the evenings that improves the brain and hand dexterity, and does not require being on the web and getting sucked into whatever brainless entertainment it offers.

I restore old tube radios.
I refinish furniture.
I've also done lots of sewing in the past. Making drapes and other window treatments was a big part of it.

I like hobbies that are productive to the household, though I'm not sure what to do with all the old radios.

Being an indoors guy myself and having a mind that is always busy, 30 years ago sitting on a coach drinking my favorite brew and watching tv with a buddy of mine. while during a commercial and add came on for a local shop advertising Slot Car Racing. Long story short he looked at me "said hey I have a slot cars from when my dad used to take me as a kid. We dug them out and went racing. And from that day forward I've been racing Slot Cars on national and local level ever since.
Now I live in the North east and growing up there were many local tracks around (not so many today) but if you search google you will find them.
This is my local raceway, https://portjeffraceway.com/ check it out and have fun

Last edited:
I ordered a cheap watch battery changing kit from Amazon to help change all of the rundown batteries in our quartz watches that we haven’t worn in years. It contains a snap back press and a screw back removal tool and adjustable vise and the cost was about $20. My wife says I’m a professional piddler.

woodworking / building speakers

The math behind building speakers is a ton of fun, and the options are endless...the woodworking is where you put your heart into your design.

MY brother has been re-caning old chairs. My son (teenager) has been building computers. (sorry if that violates the computer requirement) I've been ripping my CDs to mp3 little by little. I prefer to be outdoors, so I've been getting out to the local parks for winter hikes since we haven't had hardly any snow yet this season.

Being an indoors guy myself and having a mind that is always busy, 30 years ago sitting on a coach drinking my favorite brew and watching tv with a buddy of mine. while during a commercial and add came on for a local shop advertising Slot Car Racing. Long story short he looked at me "said hey I have a slot cars from when my dad used to take me as a kid. We dug them out and went racing. And from that day forward I've been racing Slot Cars on national and local level ever since.
Now I live in the North east and growing up there were many local tracks around (not so many today) but if you search google you will find them.
This is my local raceway, https://portjeffraceway.com/ check it out and have fun
This looks amazing. I am jealous! I have never had a slot raceway close enough to me, the nearest one now is 1.5 hours away.

Back