Hobbies that are indoors and don't involve TV screens or computers?

Got any suggestions?

Some guidelines:
  • Mostly done indoors, so that it can be done during any time of day
  • No looking at screens or TVs, unless if needed for supplemental info or tips
  • Relatively affordable
  • Reading books or magazines does not count. (and therefore listening to audio books and podcasts is also not going to count)

The only ones I can think of are:
  • Calligraphy/handwriting practice
  • Building scale models (planes, cars, trains, etc..)
  • Listening to music.. as much as this could become a hobby in itself
  • Yo-Yo or other skill based toy?
  • Cleaning guns.. which really can only be re-done after you go shooting
  • Yoga/etc.. limited range movement type activities

Listening to music counts, but podcasts don’t.. What kind of rules are these?! 🧐

A garage opens up more hobbies too. Wrenching, welding/ fabrication, woodworking etc.

I like the idea of models, rc cars, or also playing an instrument. Our house has a weird loft area upstairs I though about making a 4x8 train model in. I’d also eventually learn how to play the guitar and get a Traxxas Slash rc truck. I realize the truck is more outdoors, but modifications can be done inside.
0B5479B5-D0AA-4BA8-B8F4-D3A605A6FA02.jpeg

I’m looking for something because what I always end up doing is around 6:30 I bet the couch and just watch tv till 9:30 or so (and surf the internet at the same time) and just snack. Probables is, I’m tired by then. I’ve worked all day, I’ve worked out, I’ve eaten supper. And then I just want to let down and kind of veg out.

But I’d like a hobby where I won’t just sit and eat after dinner. Thought about building models, but I haven’t done that since I was like 10 or something. Not I’d like it. I can draw, but not sure I’d like that either. And like I said, I’m usually tired by then.

It kind of violates the whole “no screens or computers” rule but I’d LOVE to get into VR. Beat Saber looks super fun, and from what people say it can be quite the workout.

Model Rail Road, Slot Cars. ( i guess these will require a spare room probably) Also agree with RC Cars or perhaps Tanks ($$$)

Laser trainer for firearms?

Are these solo activities? Maybe board games with family?

My wife and I have started putting 1000 piece puzzles together. Practically all of the ones we have completed have been extremely challenging, and time consuming. Good for the mind at our age. It does make time fly when working on one. They are also relatively cheap. Our neighbor's wife also "puzzles" so we exchange the one's we have completed with each other, making it even less expensive for us both.

I'm taking a photography class and combining the new knowledge to make high quality time lapse from still pictures. The class is by John Greengo and is without a doubt the best class I've ever taken including all my college classes. He is born to teach and his use of examples and exhibits is the best I've ever seen.

John's website:

Fundamentals of Photography:

Well. here is my hobby for the last 7 years or so, it is not expensive, just the basics, no need to go extreme & it is very rewarding.
I started out simple and stayed there, did a lot off research before hand and bought products wisely. I enjoy it, there is math and science involved
but at the end of the day you created something wonderful, I brew my own BEER, a very rewarding hobby

I do model railroading and enjoy the social interaction of belonging to a club. It is a challenge to do it on a modest budget, but it is doable. People in clubs can tend to be eccentric and wound up a bit too tight regarding their passions. I let this stuff go, like "water off a duck's back".

Amateur (Ham) radio is another hobby. Do you like animals? My wife just got a new parrot after her old (32 years) one passed. It's a very small Conure and I spent the holidays building a custom maple play gym for it. Leather work. Wood working.

Why not the computer? You can literally explore the world via computer. Live streams of almost anything. I actually found my late dad's childhood home in Lithuania on satellite view of Google maps. Explore the arctic. I often listen to radio stations around the globe on RadioGarden.com . Just be disciplined to do something educational and entertaining.

I do model railroading and enjoy the social interaction of belonging to a club. It is a challenge to do it on a modest budget, but it is doable. People in clubs can tend to be eccentric and wound up a bit too tight regarding their passions. I let this stuff go, like "water off a duck's back".

Amateur (Ham) radio is another hobby. Do you like animals? My wife just got a new parrot after her old (32 years) one passed. It's a very small Conure and I spent the holidays building a custom maple play gym for it. Leather work. Wood working.

Why not the computer? You can literally explore the world via computer. Live streams of almost anything. I actually found my late dad's childhood home in Lithuania on satellite view of Google maps. Explore the arctic. I often listen to radio stations around the globe on RadioGarden.com . Just be disciplined to do something educational and entertaining.

I can blow hours on youtube watching that type of stuff. Or street-viewing around cities.

Back